We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please critique my 3 night itinerary...

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Please critique my 3 night itinerary...

Hi, we'll [Mum, Dad & DD20] be in Boston over 27-30 Aug, arriving late on the 27th, staying at the Raddison on Stuart St, no car, with 2 full days, leaving on the 30th with a flight out of BOS at 8:30pm.

Here's the plans:

=====================

Sun 28th Aug: 9am Breakfast at Mike & Patty's --I'm not sure how long breakfast with take, if they'll be a wait etc..., but Sunday will be the only day M&P's is open while we're here. I was thinking probably finished around 10:30 ??

The across to the PrudCenter for the Duck Tour, what's the quickest way to get here? T? bus? I checked on a few transport sities, but they all suggest different routes, bear in mine this is a Sunday, so I'm unsure is service is more limited?

Duck Tour at 11 or 11:30am -- unsure what time to book, I want to pre book tickets to avoid disappointment.

On to the Freedom Trail next, we should be finished between 1230 - 1pm. So depending how full we are from breakfast can anyone reccommend a good sandwich place between PCenter and Boston Common, if hungry otherwise we'll hold out til after the trail.

We'll take a Freedom Trail tour departing every 1/2hr until 4pm, probably around 2ish, probably book tickets online [valid for any date, any time].

Look around Faneuil Hall, have lunch at Quincy Market if haven't already done so, and then wander round North Beach, and have dinner somewhere.

==========================

Mon 29th -- Breakfast at Paramount, will probably walk across the park to get there, about 10-15mins I think. Stroll around Beacon Hill, Boston Common, Newbury St and PCenter. Then over to Harvard, hoping to taking the 3pm unoffical tour. -- Not sure if this is too rushed?

Or maybe; Paramount, Beacon Hill, Havard tour [ and lunch], stroll around Common, shopping on Newbury, and dinner. ???

============================

Tues 30th -- Breakfast at Crossiant dur Jour, end of the Freedom Trial across the bridge [Bunker Hill, and USS Constitution]. Flight departing from Logan at 8:25pm, thinking of taking a taxi from hotel at 6ish for $13 + tip, about 15mins journey. How to I get a taxi, call, hail or will hotel get one for us?

==============================

Thoughts please? I'm most concerned about day 1, getting everything fitted in.

Edited: 30 June 2011, 14:33
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,439 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please critique my 3 night itinerary...

Your plan looks very doable.

I haven't been to Mike and Patty's so I don't know how busy it will be ... it appears to be between the Back Bay and Tufts Medical Center subway stops so you might as well just walk it ... same with going back to the Pru, you could take orange line to Park street and then green line to Pru ... but I'm not convinced it will save much time.

I'd buy the duck tour in advance to be sure to not get shut out, and if you are worried about a time line, go for the later one. My question to you would be is breakfast at M&P's that important to you that you would risk missing the duck tour? If yes, then perhaps do your freedom trail walk after breakfast and pick up a later duck tour at the Museum of science.

As for the North End ... unless you are continuing along the part of the Freedom Trail that runs through it and stopping to see the sites, I don't know that there is enough to keep you busy "wandering around" until dinner.

Your second day, I'd conserve energy and tak the T from Prudential to Arlington and walk through the public garden to Charles Street and down to the Paramount. You should do your strolling so that you end near the end of Charles street or the Boston :Common so you can take the Red LIne to Harvard Square. Also, the Pru area is your hotel, no sense in backtracking there ... save it for the end of the day as you head back to your hotel.

Tuesday is VERY LIGHT. It will not take all day to the the USS Constituion and if it's HOT, please do yourself a favor and do NOT climb the Bunker Hill Monument ...

Personally, I your schedule is "light" and I'm usually critical of overly packed schedules .... and you don't seem to be doing much around your hotel. How about visiting Copley Square and admiring the juxtaposition of he ornate old Trinity Church reflected in the modern mirrored skyscraper of the Hancock Tower? Maybe visit the Boston Public Library. The "Maparium" at the Christian Science Center is interesting.

Did you ever read "Make Way for Ducklings" to your dd when she was young? How about a ride on the Swan Boats in the Public Garden? I did it as a child with my parent, as young college grad with my friends, as a doting aunt and as a Mom ... I've enjoyed it at each stage of my life. You're never too young or too old for the Swan Boats ;)

Also ... consider a museum stop ... Museum of Fine Arts? Isabella Stewart Gardner Museuem? Institute of Contemporary Art?

Obviously if you add ALL the things I mentioned to your shedule, you'll be overbooked ;) but perhaps one or two things could be squeezed in.

Happy Planning!!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,333 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please critique my 3 night itinerary...

Agree that you have time to add some other activities to your schedule. But you are staying at the Radisson--not in Back Bay so you have an easy walk to the Paramount.

You could stop at the Parish Cafe on Boylston St. for lunch on Monday.

The Freedom Trail tour will take you through the North End, so you may want to add something here, or skip lunch and have an early dinner.

Are you taking an international flight? Check on the time you need to be at the airport. It "should" take 15 minutes but at 6:00 o'clock I'd allow more time because traffic can be heavy. And I wouldn't be surprised if the fare was more than $13, That seems low to me.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please critique my 3 night itinerary...

Taxi fare to the Radisson will be around $25-30 (with toll and airport fee) and perhaps $20-25 returning - certainly not $13. In the evening, there likely will be taxis at the hotel, but you can have them call you one or you can hail one down if you wish.

Edited: 01 July 2011, 11:03
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,439 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please critique my 3 night itinerary...

Correction ... orange line doesn't go to park street (where was my brain?) Orange line to Haymarket to green lne.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please critique my 3 night itinerary...

Thanks guys, for the critique -- I've still got lots of planning to do.

I do want to try and hit Mike and Patty's, it's only a short walk from our hotel and seems silly not to eat there, when its right there.

I was going to cross the bridge on day 1, and do Bunker Hill and USS Constitution, then dinner in North End, but was told that was TOO much for 1 day ???

I still confused with timings/bookings/order for day 1: M&Ps>Duck Tour>Freedom Trail etc...

To get to the Paramount, would you suggest walking along Arlington St, or actually walking through the park?

A quick search on Copley Square looks interesting lots of architecture, the places you listed all seems very close to it aswell.

I didn't know whether to go to the skydeck of the PrudCenter either?

I'd heard of the Swan Boats, but I thought they were 2 rider pedal boats, not a float type passenger boat

It's a domestic flight to Buffalo. I did a search on Hopstop.com and it show $13 for a taxi, obviously it's not very accurate. I thought a 15 mins taxi ride would be quicker than a 50min T ride with transfers.

Thanks for all the new ideas -- off to think some more! :D

6. Re: Please critique my 3 night itinerary...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 13:19