We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in 'burbs with free parking or staying downtown and pay

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
205 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in 'burbs with free parking or staying downtown and pay

We're going to be in Boston for a week, and can't decide if we should get a hotel in the suburbs with free parking and take the "T" to the city each day or stay in the city and pay to park. We may be taking some day trips so we'll definitely need the car at times. If you recommend the 'burbs, what town would you recommend? We'll be coming in on I-90. Thanks!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in 'burbs with free parking or staying downtown and pay

If you can swing the fees, stay downtown. Also, how many people in your group? You stay in the 'burbs and get free parking ... you'll probably need to drive to the T and by $5-$7 to park and then $4 per person round trip for everybody over age 11 in your group. So, if you've got 4 people, you're spending $21-$23 per day to commute .... and if you are going to be in Boston on a weekend, there are cheaper options than the full-priced hotel parking.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
205 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in 'burbs with free parking or staying downtown and pay

There are only 2 of us (husband and me). My daughter is a student at Northeastern. I think there might be a lot on campus with overnight parking for $12. Last time we made a mistake, and it ended up costing us $40 to park overnight (not at NU).

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in 'burbs with free parking or staying downtown and pay

If you think most of your activity will be centered in the city then I'd stay there, We'll try to help you find more economical parking. If you plan to spend a few days doing day trips then I would check out the burbs. The question is where might you be interested in going?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in 'burbs with free parking or staying downtown and pay

It's certainly more expensive to say in the city but definitely worth it, I think. For some reason a lot of people get hung up about paying for parking - I think a hotel would do well to offer a room rate that included free parking.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in 'burbs with free parking or staying downtown and pay

Look into the midtown hotel, which is close to nu and has decent parking rates. I think you will enjoy your time in Boston more, if you avoid the daily commute.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
205 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in 'burbs with free parking or staying downtown and pay

Thanks. I'm leaning toward a Holiday Inn Express near the TD Garden that I found on lastminutetravel.com for only $107/night. I am familiar with the Midtown and another NU parent stayed there and wasn't happy. I think we'll probably just leave the car at NU since we'll be headed there to meet our daughter each day that we're headed out of town. I just don't want to pay the $40/night like I did once before. The Holiday Inn Express has valet parking for $39/night. I certainly can park the car myself.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in 'burbs with free parking or staying downtown and pay

Thanks for the feedback on the midtown.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in 'burbs with free parking or staying downtown and pay

You may not have the option of self park there. And that $39 sounds mighty close to the $40 that you are so resentful about now.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in 'burbs with free parking or staying downtown and pay

Many downtown hotels don't have any parking ... so they take your car and put it elsewhere ... it's not like they are valet parking in a lot 50 yards from the door. You ALWAYS have the option to self-park. The gov't center garage isn't too far from HI Express Boston Garden -- it's $35/day there .... or you can park at the Boston Common Garage for $27/day, but that's not super close to that hotel.

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in 'burbs with free parking or staying downtown and pay

If you can park on the campus reasonably..that would be the way to go. Even if you stay at the Holiday Inn express at the Garden..you are right on the orange line which takes you right to Northeastern. $107 per night sounds like about the best rate you will get in the city.