We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking Advice for 4 nights...Staying @ Taj Boston!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Parking Advice for 4 nights...Staying @ Taj Boston!

Coming to Boston July 19-23 (4 nights) arriving about 4 pm on the 19th and leaving about noon on the 23rd. We will be staying at the Taj Hotel, only because we got a great rate of $184/nt. However, I'm not really willing to shell out $44/day to park my car in a city like Boston (no offense; It's just those are NYC prices, not a small city like boston...).

My question is "Are there any safe places to park for free or very cheap and then take the subway in?" We will have luggage, but we could drop that off @Hotel then take the car out to the parking. I don't want to pay $168 for 4 nights parking, as that's a bit outrageous.

Thanks so much to everyone, in advance, for their responses! Any and all advice is appreciated.

arlingtonman13

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking Advice for 4 nights...Staying @ Taj Boston!

The parking question has been exhaustively reviewed in last couple of weeks. Use search box above and all will become clear.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking Advice for 4 nights...Staying @ Taj Boston!

Cheapest close garage is the Boston Common Garage: $27 for 24 hours on a weekday, $11 on weekend. 10 minute walk across the Public Garden to your hotel.

Or look at www.mbta.com for the transit stations that have overnight parking near where you'll be driving into town.

It's because Boston is a "small" geographically-speaking city that parking charges are high--supply and demand. City parking spaces are like gold.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,409 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking Advice for 4 nights...Staying @ Taj Boston!

Overnight parking is not available at all subway stops.

I would recommend checking out Braintree, Quincy Adams and Quincy Center, all south of the city, not far from the highway and on the T's redline. I'm not 100% sure about the rate cuz www.mbta.com indicates that the rate is $7/day, $8/overnight. I'm not sure if that means $15/24 hours or $8/24 hours. Perhaps somebody who has parked there can clarify.

There is no free all day/all night parking on Boston streets on weekdays for non-residents. Resident parking is strictly enforced. AND ... personally speaking, I'd be reluctant to leave a car with out of state plates on a street near a subway station for 4 days. Maybe I'm showing my age because I remember the days when vandalism was more common than it is today.

While I agree that $44 is a high rate, I'd look for something less expensive and pay. The Government Center garage is $35 for something like two to 24 hours .... and no valet ... so yes, Boston parking is expensive.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking Advice for 4 nights...Staying @ Taj Boston!

Use the hotel parking and consider it part of renting the room.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking Advice for 4 nights...Staying @ Taj Boston!

Funny as it may be, that's what I'm going to do...it kills me, but considering parking garages are $37/day, I'm not going to be bothered to park 10 min away when we have luggage, etc. and forfeit the valet service.

Thanks for all the help, though, but the Taj wins this one!

Arlingtonman13

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking Advice for 4 nights...Staying @ Taj Boston!

Wise choice and thanks for getting back with your decision.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking Advice for 4 nights...Staying @ Taj Boston!

Just to clarify--the Boston Common Garage is $27 a day, not $37. You could easily drop your luggage, go half-way around the Public Garden and park.

Just wanted to make sure you realized that alternative, since you did seem concerned.

Have a great trip!

Toronto
Level Contributor
35 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking Advice for 4 nights...Staying @ Taj Boston!

I agree with you. I am driving down to Boston at the end of the month staying at the Sheraton in Back Bay. I have calculated the parking fee in with the hotel, its still a really good deal. NYC was way more expensive when you include parking. Once we get there we will walk or take transit. Looking forward to a Sox game as well!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking Advice for 4 nights...Staying @ Taj Boston!

Thanks to everyone...and to "ting" for clarifying the price of parking at boston common garage. Honestly though, as others have pointed out, the $68 savings over 4 days isn't enough to make me opt for that option over the valet parking at the hotel. We'll be using the car a lot on the trip to go to different places beyond the distance that the hotel Jaguar goes and it doesn't make sense (for us lazy bones, at least) to park a decent walk away for as much as we'll be using the car!

You guys are great though, and I really appreciate all your help!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking Advice for 4 nights...Staying @ Taj Boston!

You're not planning on using the car in the city and then thinking of parking there, are you?

Edited: 11 July 2011, 02:06