We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

these hotels ,good bad, right area, wrong area ????

england
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
these hotels ,good bad, right area, wrong area ????

please guys if you have time could you tell me are these hotels, good for area to stay in or bad, taking into account we will be walking from the hotel to public transport etc, to get us other places of Boston, these are coming in at about the best prices i can find here in UK

Boston Marriott Quincy 1000 marriott drive

Boston Marriott Burlington

Boston Peabody Springhill Suites By Marriott

Holiday Inn Boston - Peabody

Red Roof Inn Woburn, 19 commerce way

Crowne Plaza Boston Newton Hotel ,3newton, 20 washington street

Holiday Inn Mansfield/Foxboro , mansfield,31 hampshire street

John Hancock Hotel & Conference Center ,40 Trinity Place, Back Bay, Boston

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: these hotels ,good bad, right area, wrong area ????

Only one you listed is actually in Boston (the John Hancock Hotel). The others are in suburbs; the one in Quincy and (I think?) Newton have subway access, the others are much further out and if they are accessible by public transit at all, it would be a commuter train.

You might want to look these all up on a map so you can get an understanding of how far these are outside the city. Also, the website for the MBTA (the public transit system) allows you to plug in an address and see how close (or far) you are to a means of public transportation.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: these hotels ,good bad, right area, wrong area ????

You dont want Peabody or Woburn - distance from Boston proper and what I perceive to be lack of public transport.

Check maps when you find a hotel.....dont take anything that's not within walking distance of T (subway).

MBTA website (subway etc): http://mbta.com/

What are your dates? How many adults/children? What websites have you looked at.?

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: these hotels ,good bad, right area, wrong area ????

I also answered your question about the Ramada...

Please, it would really help us to know more about your requirements. What is your budget?

The hotel I usually recommend to people who want a no-frills place, within walking distance of a T station, and they don't care if it's in a glamorous neighborhood, is the Holiday Inn Express-Boston St. Look at the reviews here on TA. It's reasonably priced, a 10 minute or less walk to Andrew station on the Red Line, it's next to a big box mall with some chain restaurants and stores and a supermarket if you want, the rooms include a decent free breakfast as well. It's not a pretty neighborhood by any means, but it's safe enough and if you aren't planning to spend much time in your room, it should suit you.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60745-d121009-…

I'd also suggest you print out a map of the Boston area and look to see where these places are that you mention. That Holiday Inn in Mansfield for example is a nice hotel, but it's in the middle of a huge industrial office park in a quiet suburb 35 miles from Boston, with absolutely nothing at all near by.

The Quincy Marriott is a very nice hotel, and it's much, much closer to Boston. Again, it's at the top of a big hill, in the middle of an office park with nothing near by except for a BJ's. Although, it's only a half mile from the Red Line at Quincy Adams station, and I believe they would have a shuttle.

Another possibility is the Best Western Adams Inn, which is also in Quincy and is fairly close to the Red Line at North Quincy. You might want to check that out.

One other option is the La Quinta Hotel in Somerville, which is very close to the Orange Line at Sullivan Square, I believe.

All of the places you mentioned above are suburbs of Boston, far outside of the city and not convenient to much at all, with the exception of the John Hancock. Have you looked into some of the budget hotels downtown like the Midtown Hotel, or Hotel 140?

Boston
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: these hotels ,good bad, right area, wrong area ????

The John Hancock is the best location by far, right in town. However, I know nothing about the hotel. Quincy is the only one near a subway, however I don't know what the walk is like. The Crowne Plaza is in Newton Corner which is only 5 or so miles from downtown and well served by buses. I'm sure there is a bus that will get you downtown, there might even be express buses during rush hour. The other hotels are all in suburbs not well served by public transportation.

You should try to find something downtown, it will be much more convenient and you will enjoy your trip more.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: these hotels ,good bad, right area, wrong area ????

Hi,

I saw in a prior posting that your budget is around $160/night. I didn't see that before. I also saw that people had made some other suggestions for the Oasis, and the John Jeffries house, which are both good budget options in downtown Boston.

Just a suggestion to you for next time, if you are posting here, try to keep all your posts on the same topic in one thread. That way, we all can keep track of what other people have said, and what information you have given us, etc.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: these hotels ,good bad, right area, wrong area ????

The Mariott in Quincy has a free shuttle to the t and local mall. One morning you could take the trolley in and out. This would also allow you on and off priveleges in Boston for the day.

Staying in Boston is the best bet.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,495 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: these hotels ,good bad, right area, wrong area ????

Please, please listen to the advice you are getting here on your various posts and do not consider these hotels you are finding out in Peabody, Woburn, Mansfield (miles away!! no public transport!!), etc. as they are all much too far away from the city and public transportation is just not widely available here like it is in the UK. We live here and know these areas well and are just giving you our best advice so you can enjoy your holiday and not be upset because you are stuck out in the suburbs with no car and having a hard time getting in and out of the city. The only hotel on your list that is actually in Boston is the John Hancock. If that is in your price range, just take that. At least you will be central and can walk out the door and enjoy the city.

Edited: 13 July 2011, 18:10
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,074 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: these hotels ,good bad, right area, wrong area ????

Burlington, Peabody and Mansfield are totally UNWORKABLE with out a car or lots of taxi fares.

Hancock works it's downtown

Quincy is near a T stop and according to the trip planner on www.mbta.com if you leave at 9am on a weekday morning, the commute to the Park Street T is 55 minutes. So it's doable.

With regards to the Newton hotel ... The same site recommends a bus to and 20 minute bus ride and the redline T from Braintree, a trip that takes about 55 minutes, so that's doable.

Also, please se my response to you in your other thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k463683…

Edited: 14 July 2011, 01:15
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,516 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: these hotels ,good bad, right area, wrong area ????

The John Hancock Center is a good place to stay and very well located. The rooms aren't huge and it doesn't have a restaurant or bar, but you have many options for food and drink within a block or two.

Years ago I planned a conference at the John Hancock and had no complaints at all. A few years later the same people returned but were put at the Quincy Marriott by a different local arrangements group. There were many complaints because without a car it was impossible to take a quick trip into Boston. The T station is probably about a mile, and I don't think the shuttle runs on a regular basis. It's in an office park at the junction of Rt. 3/95/93.

Have you checked hotel rates for Back Bay or waterfront on Hotwire?

10. Re: these hotels ,good bad, right area, wrong area ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 07:15