We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

after 3 days exploring boston where to go next

england
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
after 3 days exploring boston where to go next

as always thanks for reading and responding to all my posts, so after we have exusted boston, where should we go next, not planning on having a car, so will need to be places we can us public transport to get to and from, we are happy to stay over in other areas for 1 or more nights if there is enough to do , but that said we dont want to spend all our time in buses or trains travelling eatting up our valuable time, so once again if anyone can point us in the right direction for lots of places to go to and things to do there we will be so grateful

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,661 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: after 3 days exploring boston where to go next

The US does not have a lot of public transportation to places outside of cities. You could consider taking the train from North Station to Portland Maine and spending a night there.

You could take a bus to Hyannis (cape cod) or the Ferry to Provincetown (very end of cape cod) and spend a night there.

Salem is doable as a day-trip from Boston, but there's not a lot of lodging there and it's bound to be expensive in late September.

New York City is a low-cost 4.5 hour bus ride away, but lodging there is even more expensive than Boston

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: after 3 days exploring boston where to go next

Second the suggestion for Portland, Maine for an overnight. The Old Port area is very walkable area filled with restaurants and shops. Portland is known for its abundance of good restaurants. There are several hotels in the downtown area, but most of the inexpensive motels are in South Portland, for which you would need a car. You can take the commuter rail to Concord, which is a popular tourist destination with enough to do in the town itself for a day trip. Concord Museum, historic houses, etc. It is about a 15 minute walk from the train station to the downtown area. Public transportation outside of cities here generally stinks, so that limits your options.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,044 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: after 3 days exploring boston where to go next

As I think I mentioned to you in another post (although I'm getting a bit confused myself so don't hold me to that), there is a tour company called Gray Line, that offers bus tours leaving from downtown Boston, going all over New England, to places like Newport, RI, Cape Cod, Foliage tours to VT and NH, etc.

Many of these places are not accessible without a car otherwise, so you may find this the easiest way to see them.

graylinevacations.com/United_States_-_Boston…

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: after 3 days exploring boston where to go next

You have really limited yourself without a car. BTM's suggestion for the Grayline tours is excellent. Only other real options are Amtrak Downeaster between Boston and Portland (with stops in between) or commuter rail to North Shore. How much time do you have after Boston?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: after 3 days exploring boston where to go next

Wait a minute! There are some great places to go outside of Boston by public transportation. Some are mentioned above -- Provincetown would actually be a great choice. What a beautiful town, historic, great looking, surrounded by water and beautiful nature preserves. Not sure if that ferry is "public," but it doesn't matter.

As someone pointed out, you can take the national train (Amtrak) to get to Portland, Maine. It's a very charming town with a great waterfront area and good food. Amtrak also goes the other way, namely towards Rhode Island and south. It stops in Providence, RI which is a really wonderful small city.

There is also a 'commuter train' network for Boston. Some of the more interesting stops these trains make include Manchester-by-the-Sea, and Concord. How about Concord? It's well worth some time.

Then of course the bus lines (Greyhound, Bonanza, etc.) go to many destinations. So let us know your interests and any limitations, and maybe we can suggest some more good ideas for a 24 hour trip outside of Boston, no car required.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: after 3 days exploring boston where to go next

I'd like to hear what you have planned for 3 days which could possibly have exhausted everything Boston has to offer.

Although, perhaps you will simply be exhausted of Boston. ;-)

Day trips (echoing above suggestions):

trains to Concord, MA (history, nice town) or Manchester (beach, nice town)

For an overnight:

Train to Portland, ME.

Bus to Newport, RI.

Don't really need public transport much in either location. You may want to taxi once or twice, but for an overnight, you should be good without a car.

7. Re: after 3 days exploring boston where to go next

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 23:16