We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to drop-off my car

San Jose
Level Contributor
257 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Where to drop-off my car

Hi, we will be staying for three days at Boston next Sept 3th, then we will hire a car, drive to Acadia and the white mountains for some days and then drop the car off at Boston and then take the train to go to NYC.

We are renting from Hertz and we noticed that they have two locations, one at the airport and the other one at Park Plaza.

Because we are staying at the Westin Waterfront, it seems easier to hire the car from the airport but I'm not certain where to drop it off.

We are taking our train from South Stationright after we leave the car, where do you recomend me to drop it off?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Boston Park Plaza
Boston Park Plaza
2,738 Reviews
Boston, MA
The Westin Boston Waterfront
The Westin Boston...
111 Reviews
Boston, MA
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
590 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,054 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour...
703 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
462 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to drop-off my car

If one of you can drop everybody off with luggage at South Station, it would be simpler to return the car to the Park Plaza location, and then walk to the train (about 15 minutes).

However, it's not a big deal to drop it off at the airport and grab a cab to South Station, or take public transportation (I guess).

If there is a charge for dropping off at different locations, I guess my preference would be to go with the Park Plaza location.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Park Plaza
Boston Park Plaza
2,738 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
7,002 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to drop-off my car

It probably makes sense to return the car to the airport, then you will avoid a fee for a different pick-up and drop-off location. You can take the Silver Line from the airport to South Station. Of course, you could cab it from the airport, too.

If you were to drop off at Park Plaza it is possible to walk to South Station, but might be awkward with luggage as it isn't that close. Subway might be a pain, too as you would either have to go Arlington to Park and change to Red Line or walk up to Park. Cab would probably be best if you chose this option.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Park Plaza
Boston Park Plaza
2,738 Reviews
Boston, MA
Arlington
Arlington
Massachusetts
Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to drop-off my car

What time is your train? Do you need the car that day? If you don't need the car the day you depart, then drop the car at the airport the evening before.

Not sure how many in your party. Even if you do you need the car that day, I would probably return the car back to logan by myself, take the silverline back to the hotel, then head to South Station. The walk is doable, there are buses that run to south station in front of your hotel, a cab is less then 10 dollars with tip.

Hertz is at the airport and the signs are well marked. First exit on the right as you exit the tunnel.

www.massport.com

San Jose
Level Contributor
257 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to drop-off my car

When we will return from Boston we wont have a hotel in Boston because we will be coming from the White Mountains hotel. I was thinking in going to south station, leave my mom and wife there with the luggage and then droping the car at plaza. Is it too far away to walk without luggage?

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to drop-off my car

it's an easy walk - about 15 minutes - that's what I would do. someone at Hertz might even give you a ride, maybe (I know that Enterprise would).

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to drop-off my car

ok, sorry....yes, that will work. Good suggestion by Thomas. If they don't help you out, the walk is doable and I would skip the T. Stay above ground as much as possible to take in the beautiful city.

7. Re: Where to drop-off my car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 08:18