We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

InterContinental Hotel vs. Boston Park Plaza Hotel

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Howell, Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
InterContinental Hotel vs. Boston Park Plaza Hotel

I am attending a conference at the John B. Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention Center and unfortunately, I waited until the last minute to book so a lot of hotel options are not available. I will not have a vehicle during this trip so quick, easy access to the Convention Center is the highest priority followed by a hotel with a decent sized bathroom and nice bedroom. Plus for the Boston Park is the proximity to the Convention Center, however, the room reviews aren't the best. I do want a comfortable room/bath. Plus for the InterContinental is the upgraded room/building but the location from the Convention Center isn't the best. I don't want to spend more than $15 per day for transportation and both hotels do not offer local shuttles. Please help me decide.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: InterContinental Hotel vs. Boston Park Plaza Hotel

You have a good handle on your choices. You say easy access is the highest priority - in that case it's the Plaza, but know that the rooms are small- some positively tiny- as are the bathrooms.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: InterContinental Hotel vs. Boston Park Plaza Hotel

On the surface it seems The Plaza is the choice. If you intend to spend any length of time in the hotel, I would go with the inty. The commute from Logan to the inty is easy. If you want a few cocktails before bed, the inty has one of the better bars in Boston.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: InterContinental Hotel vs. Boston Park Plaza Hotel

I think I would stay at the intercontinental. Park plaza isn't all that convenient to the hynes. Take the t from south station, change at park street for the green line.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,783 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: InterContinental Hotel vs. Boston Park Plaza Hotel

Subway transportation from the intercontinental will be $4 per day round trip or $3.40 if you get a plastic Charlie Card. Or ... you could choose to invest in a $15 7-day link pass which gives you unlimited subway access for 7 days.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: InterContinental Hotel vs. Boston Park Plaza Hotel

If your highest priority is easy access rather than room size, I'd go with the Park Plaza. You would be two stops away from the Hynes on the Green Line, or about a 20 minute pleasant walk.

Anything else available on Hotwire or another discount site/

Howell, Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: InterContinental Hotel vs. Boston Park Plaza Hotel

No, call me weird but I don't like using 3rd party websites to book travel and lodging. Another concern of mine is the area around the InterContinental. Are there decent restaurants within walking distance? Is that area considered the financial district? I know some downtown financial districts tend to shut down after 5 p.m. and even though I'm not a party person, I like seeing some activity in the area I'm staying. I don't want to feel edgy if I leave the hotel for dinner. I prefer a crowded, louder area to a quiet one.

Howell, Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: InterContinental Hotel vs. Boston Park Plaza Hotel

Thanks for the info. I didn't know it would be that cheap or that easy to get to the Convention Center.

Boston...
Level Contributor
427 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: InterContinental Hotel vs. Boston Park Plaza Hotel

Intercontinental ALL THE WAY

9. Re: InterContinental Hotel vs. Boston Park Plaza Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 06:16