We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Cape Cod via car in October

Riverside...
8 posts
Save Topic
Boston to Cape Cod via car in October

I plan on visiting Boston for 4 or 5 days in late October and thought about renting a car to drive through Cape Cod, possibly all the way to P-town. It seems that during the 'season' it will take 2+ hours to get all the way to the tip and if that is normal even during the end of October it will be something I will avoid. I have always wanted to check out Cape Cod and if the drive from Plymouth to the end is too long of a drive, time wise, I will avoid it and perhaps go to Newport instead.

Thanks -

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Cape Cod via car in October

Are you starting out in Plymouth? I would say that it will take you about an hour plus a bit to get to Provincetown if you stay on Rt. 6 the whole way.

Longer if you take 6A from the bridge to Orleans--though it's a nice, pretty, drive.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Cape Cod via car in October

You shouldn't run into heavy traffic to the Cape at that time of year.

Riverside...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Cape Cod via car in October

I had planned to start off early out of Boston, then on through Plymouth and on to the Cape hopefully in time for lunch and to do some walking around the town. Thanks for the heads-up. Much better news than spending all day in the car!

Are there any stops I should make on the way to or from P-town?

I'm a history major and not really into shopping, except maybe for some regional art/crafts.

Edited: 20 July 2011, 21:33
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to Cape Cod via car in October

There won't be a lot of traffic going over the Sagamore bridge or on the Cape but 95% of the time, 2 hours is an unrealistic estimate for travelling from Boston to P-town.

It's about 110 miles from Boston to Provincetown. Making that trip in 2 hours is rare. I MAYBE if you hit absolutely NO traffic, you don't run into thos aggravating people who insist on going the speed limit on the highway', don't get behind a pokey puppy on the part of Rte 6 where it's only one lane in each direction with no passing, get all green lights between Orleans and P-town on Rt 6 and don't get stopped or doing 40 in the 35mph zone in the "high traffice enforcement area" of Eastham. lol!!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,848 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to Cape Cod via car in October

You should definitelhy visit the Cape Cod National Seashore Visitors center in Eastham or Provincetown (but check cuz the P-town one might be closed in October). See some of their films, visit Marconi Beach and the cable site(first trans-atlantic communication happened here), AND it's a very pretty beach.

Riverside...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to Cape Cod via car in October

@ forgot - Thanks for the 'heads-up' regarding the 35 mph zone! One way to ruin a trip is by getting a speeding ticket. Route 6 sounds a lot like the 1 going through the Keys. I attempted that once during spring break - not fun at all. I guess I'll attempt it after a stop in Plymouth - I've always thought a trip to Cape Cod was a way to experience quintessential New England and thought Provincetown would be cool to check out, but not at the expense of loosing too much time in the car. I guess in my mind I'm thinking of freeway driving - 110 miles, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. If it's too much I'll just bale and check out Newport.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston to Cape Cod via car in October

Most of the Cape portion is not freeway driving.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston to Cape Cod via car in October

I do this trip frequently at all times of the year. In October, from downtown Boston to Provincetown should take about two and a quarter hours. The speed limit in Eastham is 40 and enforced, though less so off season. In Wellfleet, it's 45, and in Truro it's either 45 or 50 depending on the road.

9. Re: Boston to Cape Cod via car in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 23:20