We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hahvahd vs. Harvard Tour

Missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Hahvahd vs. Harvard Tour

What is the difference between these two tours?

Hahvahd - 70 Minutes

harvardtour.com/tours/…

Guided Historical Tour - 60 minutes

http://www.harvard.edu/visitors/tours/

It looks like the first one is a $10 fee and registration is required. The second is no fee and registration is not required. That is OK with me if it is better that the second.

Any thoughts?

Trailblazer Tours Boston - Private Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Boston By Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
CityView Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hahvahd vs. Harvard Tour

I am not reading what you are. seems both want you to register. one charges up front and the other suggests that you tip $10 at the end. So cost is the same or maybe less if you have to pay and tip also. One seems more staid as it is the "official" tour and the other a little more (maybe much more) laidback. haven't taken either but seems you just need to pick the one that fits your personality.

The other difference is 10 minutes.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hahvahd vs. Harvard Tour

The "Hahvahd" tour is run by a group of students. I've never taken their tour, but I've seen them assembled in the Square. It is designed to be fun and irreverent and you can see the folks laughing at their material. They don't have a set fee, but ask that you tip the tour guide.

The other tour is the official university tour for visitors and prospective students. These are also usually led by students and I've heard that it is also very good at giving a perspective on college life and the history of Harvard.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,582 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hahvahd vs. Harvard Tour

We did the official Harvard Tour last November, but we didn't pre register & there was no charge. We went to the office that morning & signed up for it, then wandered over to the Natural History museum until it was tour time. We found it really interesting, lot's of history & a good overview of college life. We enjoyed it & I'd recommend it.

Edited: 23 July 2011, 22:11
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hahvahd vs. Harvard Tour

We did the "Hahvahd" tour this past Thursday and it was a huge waste of time. Our hotel concierge recommended it, and I haven't a clue why. We took the metro into cambridge and met the group right at the top of the Harvard Square stop. The students guiding the tour were very stuck-up, arrogant, and pretentious. They made comments the entire time about how prestigious the campus is and how smart they all are. If this braggart attitude is what you want (or how you are...) then this is the tour for you. And, if it's as hot as it was on our tour (102*F), they don't go in any buildings.

5. Re: Hahvahd vs. Harvard Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 21:16