We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston with or without a car

Tallahassee, Florida
8 posts
Save Topic
Boston with or without a car

I'll be staying in Boston October 2nd and leaving on the

6th. It seems it would be cheaper to just get a week pass on

the MBTA than to rent a car. On there site I can find the specific

stops I need to go to as far as getting around town. I have an

android so I'll be good to go as far as finding me routes on the fly.

Any thoughts?

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
588 Reviews
from US$94.50*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
697 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,048 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Tour of Historic Fenway Park...
40 Reviews
from US$25.00*
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston with or without a car

If you've read any of the questions here (I guess you haven't), you don't need or want a car here. You can get anywhere in the Downtown Area either walking or on the T. Do us a favor and check the Top Questions about Boston on the upper right.

Level Contributor
6,882 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston with or without a car

Just so you don't have any doubt, you don't want or need a car in downtown Boston. It is not a convenience, it is a nuisance and will cost a fortune to park. Boston is quite small and very walkable. The subway system is safe and easy to use.

Level Contributor
1,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston with or without a car

I don't know what the google map app on android is like. But on my iPhone you can ask for directions between Boston locations by car, public transit or walking,

And, the same is true on a Google map search on a computer. For the buses and some of the subway lines it will even tell you when the next train or bus is due.

Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston with or without a car

Based on the info given I would say no.

If if you plan on driving out of the city at all then maybe. If you want to go out to Lexington and Concord, I would say for that day, yes.

5. Re: Boston with or without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 12:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor