We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bicycle riding in Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
bicycle riding in Boston

Hi All, I have a question about getting to and from Somerville,Mass. to Emerson College (Boston Common) on a bike. How easy is it to get around? Some parts of the route look pretty safe and easy to navigate. Looking at google maps it looks like part of the route is congested. Thanks for any input you have.

Judy

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bicycle riding in Boston

Not sure where you're coming from in Somerville, but take a look at this bike map: cityofboston.gov/Images_Documents/bike%20map…

And go to a nearby bike store and pick up a Boston bike map. Boston still has a way to go on being bike-friendly but it's much much better than it was a few years ago.

Boston...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bicycle riding in Boston

Judy,

It is POSSIBLE, that's for sure. I'm not sure how enjoyable it will be though. I ride my bike quite often from downtown to the outer edges of Boston, and haven't been hit yet (how's that for an endorsement).

I might question WHY you're riding your bike to/from Emerson. if you'd like a nice bike route...take a ride along the charles. If you're looking for a commuter option...take the T.

I'd say try it one day (maybe a sunday morning without TOO much traffic), if you hate it you can always schlep your bike back to Sommerville via the T (one is allowed to take bikes on the T during non-rush hours)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bicycle riding in Boston

Daughter lives in Somerville. Tons of bicyclists there but in my opinion there are certain spots that are hair raising. If you can be more specific, would be happy to suggest possible routes (she also does a ton of walking from Somerville to different spots in Boston, as well as using subway and various buses).

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bicycle riding in Boston

Thanks to all that replied...will probably rethink this. Public transportation in Boston is very good, so might just stick with that.

5. Re: bicycle riding in Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 07:18