We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Dinner Cruise - Spirit of Boston

Missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Sunset Dinner Cruise - Spirit of Boston

I booked this cruise today and now have a question. AFTER this was booked I received the customary email and it states...

"Dinner Cruises: For men, appropriate attire includes slacks and a polo or button down shirt. For women, nice slacks, Capri pants or a sundress is recommended. Although allowed, we strongly discourage collarless t-shirts, jeans, shorts or athletic shoes."

We are more casual and had I known this I would not have booked this cruise. How many people do you think really stick to this? Will I see more casual clothes than this indicates or is it more up-scale than I realized?

We only pack casual clothes which is why we don't eat at places like the "Top of the Hub". I have to dress professionally for work and don't want to on vacation! :-)

Has anyone been on this cruise? Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruise - Spirit of Boston

You should adhere to the dress code or pick another place for dinner. Just because you prefer to dress more casually doesn't mean everyone else who signed up for a more "dressed up" event does. Also, you put the staff in the awkward position of having to defend its policy.

The dress code isn't even especially dressy, imo...what were you planning to wear?

Edited: 25 July 2011, 20:53
Boston
Level Contributor
6,733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruise - Spirit of Boston

I don't think you'll see people there in t-shirts and sneakers, but if you do they will look out of place. Polo shirts and capri pants are dressed up now? Do you just travel with t-shirts? Just bring a couple of decent things and be done with it. You'll have fun.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruise - Spirit of Boston

The Spirit of Boston is much more casual than The Odyssey. I have seen people wearing T shirts and jeans on The Odyssey. Even by The Spirit of Boston admission, they are not going to turn you away........

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,924 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruise - Spirit of Boston

How hard is it to take a part of slacks and a polo shirt? If you don't have them in your wardrobe, you should. And they don't take up a lot of space in your suitcase. This "dress code" is about as minimal I have ever seen and you should try and adhere, as this is what you signed up for. Believe me, it won't be hard. By the way, I wouldn't class this as upscale at all.

Edited: 25 July 2011, 22:05
Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruise - Spirit of Boston

If you ask me..their dress code is too vague..either allow something or don't. That being said..although I like to dress casually for most things...capri pants and sundresses for women is pretty casual. I would dress neatly..if jeans..then a nice pair of jeans..if you must where shorts..a nice pair of shorts..even so..I understand about wanting to dress down on vacation..but I always pack a summer dress. You never know.

Also...they should advertise their dress code before you book. Bottom line is..don't lose sleep whatever you decide.

Missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruise - Spirit of Boston

Well...I kind of wish I had not posted this. I am afraid some have the opinion that we are hillbillies who don't know how to dress and that is not the case.

Of course we own dress clothes. Like I said in the original post we dress professionally for work and don't want to on vacation. That is why we avoid places with a dress code when we are on vacation.

It was suggested that we choose another place to eat dinner. I am not going to throw away the $160 already paid for the cruise. I did not see a dress code until AFTER the cruise was booked.

I do appreciate some of the helpful comments above. Thanks!

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruise - Spirit of Boston

TravelfromM....I am sorry that anyone made you feel that way...for the second time in two days..I feel obligated to apologize for the snarky comments of other posters. Once again..I guess this is why Boston was recently voted least friendly city. I would not let it bother you...this is one of those times where I guess you have to take the bad with the good. At the expense of getting some good, reassuring advice..you also had to tolerate comments from people who for whatever reason( monday hangover, woke up on the wrong side of the bed..etc) decided to be unhelpful..so please don't let the nature of those comments reflect the general atmosphere of Boston.

Don't worry over the dress code too much. My guess is it is intentionally vague. You should also be aware that people on the boat did not buy their tickets based on what other people were wearing. I haven't been on a Spirit of Boston dinner cruise in a while and I could not tell you what anyone else on the boat was wearing...people are into their own thing..and their own good time..and if anyone is shallow enough to care what others are wearing..then the problem is theirs.

Once again, I am sorry anyone made you feel like you shouldn't have posted here.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruise - Spirit of Boston

Interesting thread. Excellent question, travel_from_M (don't feel you were wrong to ask). I would think most people in Boston wouldn't wear t-shirts and shorts and running shoes (or whatever) to a nice restaurant, but it wouldn't occur to us that a polo shirt and khakis would be considered "dressy".

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruise - Spirit of Boston

I'm still curious what you do plan to wear.

10. Re: Sunset Dinner Cruise - Spirit of Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2011, 18:08