We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to pay fare difference charlie weekly link pass

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How to pay fare difference charlie weekly link pass

Hi to all,

we will be in Boston for 7 nights and plan on getting a 7 day link pass each. we want to do one day trip to Salem and another day trip to Gloucester and Rockport, another to Lexington (using Train and local Bus). Assuming weekly link pass only covers area transport zone fares say 10 miles beyond CBD, how do we pay the difference on longer jouneys such as Salem, Lexington or Rockport?

thanks in antipation

Von on Tour?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,661 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to pay fare difference charlie weekly link pass

I don't think you pay the difference, you just buy a ticket and drop your money into the fare bo on the bus ... just like people who don't have a pass. You can purchase your ticket from the conductor ON the train, but if you board at a station where you CAN buy a ticket there is a surcharge for buying on-board.

The 7-day pass is only good in zone 1A ... which is very close to downtown ... for example, commuter rail from South Station to Back Bay is Zone 1A is covered, but not beyond that.

Happy Planning!

Edited: 26 July 2011, 12:46
Boston
Level Contributor
6,633 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to pay fare difference charlie weekly link pass

I think the pass is good for buses. The zones refer to commuter rail. I know the commuter rail stop I sometime use is only 1 stop out from downtown and is considered 1A, beyond that I think is outside of 1A. So, 1A doesn't extend too far out.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to pay fare difference charlie weekly link pass

You will have to pay the regular fares on the trains to Salem and Gloucester/Rockport , but they are quite reasonable. You should buy all your tickets at North Station. Explain to the agent what you plan to do, as you will probably need an interzone ticket between Gloucester and Rockport. Tickets are valid in either direction so the same set of tickets will let you go Boston-Gloucester-Rockport-Boston or Boston-Rockport-Gloucester-Boston.

The 7day pass should get you to Lexington via the Red Line (subway, not commuter rail) and a local bus. You have a couple of routes to choose from; 62 and 76, both local. There is non-MBTA bus service within Lexington (info on MBTA web site), but MBTA passes are not accepted on it.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to pay fare difference charlie weekly link pass

Von_on_Tour, have a look at this recent thread. It doesn't have the answers about whether you can use the weekly link pass beyond Zone 1A in conjunction with another paid ticket, but it does have the questions you should ask the T.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k436345…

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,661 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to pay fare difference charlie weekly link pass

When the OP said "buses" I thought s/he meant the buses in Salem and Marblehead, etc. I didn't think the pass worked there, although maybe it does since they are T buses. The pass most definitely works for the T buses downtown.

It won't work on the Cape Ann buses cuz they aren't part of the T. They don't work on the Winthrop buses, either.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to pay fare difference charlie weekly link pass

The fare from Alewife to Lexington is covered by the pass. As others mentioned, you need to purchase separate tickets for the commuter rail.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to pay fare difference charlie weekly link pass

I believe I have the answer on using the weekly pass in conjunction with an interzone commuter rail fare for rail travel beyond Zone 1A (which is covered by the pass). Answer: The pass doesn’t provide any discount.

I called the T and first asked if I could purchase Interzone commuter rail tickets at North Station (answer to that is yes). Then I asked if I traveling from North Station to Salem, could I use the weekly pass to go from North Station to Chelsea (Zone 1A) and then an interzone ticket to go from Chelsea to Salem. The representative said no. When I persisted a little bit, he said the cost would be the same anyway.

So, I went to the MBTA website and sure enough found that the Chelsea to Salem 1-way fare is $5.25, the same as the North Station to Salem fare. Knowing that I understand why our clever plan doesn't provide a discount. Sorry for the incorrect speculation I posted earlier and hope this helps.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to pay fare difference charlie weekly link pass

Thanks to all of you, I have checked the links you suggested and have got my head around it much better.

I thought the official MBTA "zone map" was not helpful - I had my "Lonely Planet" opened up on the subway map and found it really hard to relate the MBTA web site zone map/ chart (zones 1a - 9) to many of the stations identified on the subway map in L P- or is it just me? Is Zone 1a the limits of the coloured subway lines?

ciao

Von on Tour

Somerville
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to pay fare difference charlie weekly link pass

The subway has nothing to do with the commuter rail zone system. You can ride from one end of the subway to the other with paying any additional fare, provided you do not leave the station.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to pay fare difference charlie weekly link pass

thanks again to all, much clearer!

ciao

Von on Tour