We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phone sim cards

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
burnley lancs
Level Contributor
229 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
phone sim cards

whilst in boston september i will be bringing my iphone but dont want to pay the £1.37 p/m charges to phone the uk.

I am thinking of buying a us sim card which i can use in a spare phone to call the uk.

has anyone any advise on which network to choose and can top up cards be bought easily whilst in us.

im sure this option will be much cheaper for me, any info on anyone having done this previously will be helpful.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phone sim cards

I did this a couple of years ago for a friend from Norway who was visiting for the summer. We ended up getting a new, very inexpensive AT&T phone at a "phone store" inside a Sam's Club (I realize some of these details will mean nothing to you) that came with one month's service (or some number of minutes, I forget, that could be reloaded on line).

Your choices for networks are basically limited to the two GSM networks in the United States: AT&T and T-mobile, which are in the process of merging. Generally speaking, cell phone service in the United States isn't as good as in Europe, because we have competing, incompatible standards (CDMA being the other one).

So... if I knew exactly where you are staying in Boston, I could probably identify a phone store that might be able to sell you a cheap phone. There should be ways to just to buy a SIM card, probably you can somewhere in Boston, but the whole idea is a little foreign to Americans.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phone sim cards

Yes, thomas is correct. While technically possible, the whole sim-card switch out is just not done in the US to the extent it is elsewhere. You would be better off asking experienced fellow UK travelers what they do.

3. Re: phone sim cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 00:16