We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking outside the city??

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
147 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Parking outside the city??

I am driving to Boston from NY next Saturday morning, staying until Sunday morning. I am not relishing the idea of driving downtown or looking for parking. Is there a T or commuter rail train station outside of the city that I could park at for free or not super expensive and then take the train/T into the city? Thanks!!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,975 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking outside the city??

Where are you staying. Parking is CHEAP on weekends ... 24 hours for $11 in the Boston Common Garage. I'd drive in.

BUT ... if you want to park on the outskirts ... are you coming in the Mass Pike (rte 90?).

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking outside the city??

I'm staying at a friend's apartment and really don't want to drive in. I thought of parking at the Attleboro commuter rail station. I know it'll be about an hr from there into the city-- I don't mind that. I'm more concerned with getting guaranteed parking. Anyone know about Attleboro's weekend parking availability?

ETA: I'm coming from NY...so I guess 95 to the Turnpike, yes. I've heard Attleboro is right off the highway and has ample parking...

Edited: 30 July 2011, 04:08
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,158 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking outside the city??

Attleboro is not that convenient and you have to deal with fewer commuter trains on the weekend.

If you are wedded to the train, the 128 station off of 95/128 would be closer. Tell us where your friend's apartment is located and we can better guide you.

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking outside the city??

I don 't care about the time of the train. I will time it so I get there when a train is coming. The two things I care about are guaranteed parking and not driving in the city. My friend lives near Fanueil Hall. I don't care about getting close to where she lives (smack in the middle of the city). I just care about finding parking and not driving in the horror that is downtown Boston (did it when I went to college in RI and swore never again. Driving in NYC is much easier). Is the 128 station in the city? I thought it was...

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,158 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking outside the city??

You can check www.mbta.com

I don't think Attleboro has overnight parking according to the website. Rt. 128 station is in Westwood, Mass., right off of 95/128.

That is more convenient if you take 95 all the way to Boston. If you come by the Mass. Pike (90) you can get off at 95/128 and go South to Westwood, or, to take the subway, get off 95/128 at Rt. 16 and go to Woodland Station and take the Green Line into town. Woodland also has overnight parking.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,975 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking outside the city??

If you are coming in the Mass Pike or 95, you can consider Woodland in Wellesley. Overnight parking is permitted there and you are on the green line (subway) which runs regularly with no regard to schedules. You would take it in to the Haymarket stop and be right there near Fanieul Hall.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,335 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking outside the city??

I think forgot's suggestion is a good one. Will add Alewife as a third suggestion but I believe the other two are closer.

Edited: 31 July 2011, 12:51
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking outside the city??

128 station is on the Dedham/Westwood line, not in the city. It is very simple on and off from Route 95 and you'll have a lot more train options.You can try to time your arrival, but if you miss it by 2 minutes in Attleboro, what will you do for 3 hours until the next train?

The station is at Exit 13 off 95 North/128 North.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking outside the city??

Really, you should park at a subway station, not a commuter rail. Then you don't even have to think about the train schedule. Why bother? Parking availability will not be a problem on the weekend.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking outside the city??

If you're coming from Westchester, you should consider 684-84-90(the pike).

And, if you do take the pike (I-90), I think Riverside station is more convenient than Woodland. Check out www.mbta.com for details (location, price, etc.)