We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another itinerary question!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another itinerary question!

Hi all, I know itinerary questions are a dime a dozen at the moment, but I was hoping the experts can have a look over mine and see is it optimal with regards timing, and layout of what we want to see.

We have two and a bit days in Boston, arriving at about 5pm Sat Sept 3rd and collecting our car at the aiport in the morning of Tue Sept 6th. We like walking around historic sites, nice shops, great photo ops.

Sat 9/3: Arrive Sheraton Hotel @ 16.00 approx, we expect to be pretty tired after our flight, so just planning to walk up Newbury St, have a look around Copley Square area, grab a bite to eat and have an early night.

Sun 9/4: Up early and up to Boston Common, have a look round there.

- Do the Freedom Trail from Boston Common to North End

- Lunch North End (probably a deli sandwich or something takeaway)

- Take the T over to Harvard Square, explore that area, visit Harvard Yard.

- Head back to hotel for shower and change, eat dinner North End

Mon 9/5 : Up Early and take T to USS Constitution. Hopefully get to do the first tour of the day on the USS Constitution (I have checked, they are open today as it is Labor Day) Visit USS Constitution Museum

- Lunch Quincy Market, tour the Market area

- Take the T back to Boston Common, do the other part of the Freedom Trail to Beacon Hill

- Explore Beacon Hill area

- Back to hotel for change, eat Back Bay Area

So, what do you think of this Itinerary? Is it doable time wise? Anything we should add or take out?

I know there are no museums or art galleries, we have decided not to visit any as we have such limited time and they do take a good chunk of the day to visit. Also, we are lucky enough to have visited some amazing museums and galleries in the past.

We have also decided to skip Fenway, I know a lot of people reccommend it, but we have zero interest (or knowledge) in baseball.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another itinerary question!

You should go to Fenway park because you have zero interest (or knowledge) in baseball.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,234 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another itinerary question!

I apologize for not having time to give this post the attention it deserves right now, but I feel it is important to note that the USS Constitution is not open for touring on Mondays!

cityofboston.gov/freedomtrail/ussconstitutio…

If this is important to you, you need to adjust your plans.

HAPPY PLANNING!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another itinerary question!

Wow that was quick!

Thomas, if we had another day, I would definitely include Fenway, but I just feel we'd be cramming too much in. How does it look other than that?

forgotmypassword, thanks for that, but we did check, the Constitution is open on the Monday of Labor day, seems to be open on most of the Holiday Mondays, which is great for us: …navy.mil/ussconstitution/visitor_info.html

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another itinerary question!

Hi Forgot..I think this was talked about in another thread a while ago and I couldn't remember whether they were actually open on Monday or not..I seem to remember the consensus was that they were...so I looked it up and it appears that they are indeed open on Labor Day.

…navy.mil/USSconstitution/visitor_info.html

It's confusing that they are closed on Mondays..but open on some Monday holidays!

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another itinerary question!

"Closed Mondays except for holidays" is not so uncommon--and great for those taking a long weekend. Among other places that do this are the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and in Salem, the Peabody Essex Museum.

Edited: 31 July 2011, 00:10
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet another itinerary question!

How long are these showers going to be? Too long and you may not have time for dessert. Going into therapy mode, why don't you have a wish list instead of an itinerary and leave room for some spontaneity.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,234 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet another itinerary question!

Ooops. Thanks for the correction on the USS Constitution ... I forgot about that.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,360 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yet another itinerary question!

I think your itinerary is very doable. Just note that certain sites along the Freedom Trail will not be open on Sunday (the State House being the most obvious).

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yet another itinerary question!

Thanks for all the replies,

LOL, Neslaw, I don't intend our few days in Boston to be as manic as it looks when written down! We will be taking time to 'smell the flowers' and do spontaneous things that aren't on the itinerary! We are early risers and tend to pack a lot into our days, but we won't be crying into our chowder if we don't see everythink on our itinerary :)

Thanks for that tip about some of the Freedom Trail sites being closed on Sunday Mahj. Again, due to time restraints, we probably wouldn't have gone into many anyway. We might enter the Old State House, would I be right in thinking it is open Sunday?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Yet another itinerary question!

Yes. It's a museum now.