We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the must do's for teenagers in Boston....

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
What are the must do's for teenagers in Boston....

We are travelling from Ireland to Boston for 4 days very soon, staying in the Taj Boston....I have 2 teenager, 1 boy 1 girl....Are there any Must do's while im there....interests are varied, sports, shoping, anything really to keep them entertained...I have booked Whale watching...I welcome any suggestions and any nice family restaurants recommendations aswell...Thanks

Edited: 02 August 2011, 15:04
Boston
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the must do's for teenagers in Boston....

Well, must-dos would be based on their interests, but here are a few suggestions:

Codzilla high-speed boat ride on the harbor, leaves from Long Wharf.

Blue Man Group

Fenway Park tour

Duck Tour

For shopping -- Newbury Street (mostly high end). Copley Place Mall (high-end) and Prudential Center Mall (moderate) (connected via glass walk way).

Harvard Square, Cambridge

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the must do's for teenagers in Boston....

I like the high speed boat ride idea..even if the kids dont!!! Will check out the Blue man group and Fenway Park aswell............Shopping I cant wait.......Thanks for reply....

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the must do's for teenagers in Boston....

whale watching god idea - add to that a duck tour, maybe visit USS Constitution at Charestown, possibly the Aquarium and enjoy the next door street entertainment in Faneuil Hall area. Check if there's anything on at TD Northbank (home of Boston Bruins etc). Wrentham is a fab outlet for shopping (Timberland, Hilfiger etc) but it's about an hour away. There's an Abercrombie store in Boston so that might appeal to teens! The Skywalk at top of the Prudential gives a fab view of the city below. And finally a 15 minute redline T journey to Harvard is a cool place to spend a few hours with or without teens.

For family friendly restaurants. almost all are. Depends what sort of food works. If it's casual american type fare, then I'd go for American Joe's (one at Long Wharf and one in Back Bay) or Cheesecake factory (.rudential), PF Changs for (western style) chinese or Legal Seafoods. If your family likes italian food, you must go to the North nd (Little Italy),

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the must do's for teenagers in Boston....

You got great ideas above. I really advocate visiting the ship the USS Constitution over in Charlestown (very close to Boston with a great view of downtown Boston). You can go on board and it's a real Navy ship with sailors, and you go through security to go on. There is also a World War II destroyer (some type of ship) moored right nearby, which you can also board. Fascinating to be on these ships.

Another water-based idea is to take the public ferry over to George's Island in Boston Harbor (part of the Boston Harbor Islands, which are together a national park). It's a great trip in the summer, with views of Boston, many other islands, lighthouses, etc. When you get to the island, it includes a small beach plus a very very large old stone fort with a lot of history. You are allowed to explore the fort, which is fun.

Is either of the kids beginning to think about college? You could easily get to Harvard Square, which is fun anyway, and look briefly at Harvard College.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the must do's for teenagers in Boston....

Great ideas from everyone! There are also freebies around town such as movies at the Hatch Shell on Fridays, Boston Harbor Hotel activities, Free ICA entrance on Thursdays with music, etc.

p.s. Charlestown is a neighborhood of Boston.....

PA
Level Contributor
855 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the must do's for teenagers in Boston....

My boys enjoyed Harvard Square and the Freedom Train tour with Michael from Lessons on Liberty....it was the guide that they loved!

Boston
Level Contributor
341 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the must do's for teenagers in Boston....

I would avoid the aquarium if I were you. It's one of the worst I've been to in any city. The science museum is fun but you'll have to take the T to get there. A tour of fenway is a good idea. The duck tours are also a good idea. Beware if you ride Codzilla that you may get soaked. Just ask the staff to tell you which seats are the wettest and avoid them. If you'll be visiting Fanieul Hall, take them to Dicks Last Resort for lunch. Kids love that place. Not as really a thing to do but for a quick stop in your travels, swing by J Hooks Lobster company if you have the chance. It's a small seafood shop and there's not much to see but you can get decent lobster rolls there and while there, ask one of the staff to show the kids the biggest lobster they have. You will be amazed.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are the must do's for teenagers in Boston....

The kids might like to get wet.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are the must do's for teenagers in Boston....

I think the Aquarium is great. Possibly there are better ones elsewhere, but as far as I'm concerned, you go to an aquarium to see marine life, and you get that in spades here.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are the must do's for teenagers in Boston....

Definitely Blue Man Group (it was our 16-year-old son's favorite part of the trip). We also did a duck tour, which he thought was 'totally lame' until we actually did it and he said it came in second on his list... :) Kids....