We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Shopping

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville KY
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Christmas Shopping

Each yr my wife and I leave the kids behind for the week-end to Xmas shop. This year is Boston. (last yr Nashville). We are wondering what are the best areas to shop. Looking for usual stores, Target, best buy, as well as upscale stores. Should we choose a hotel near downtown or some other part of town? Will be there 12/02 - 12/05.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Shopping

You should probably look for a Back Bay hotel if shopping is your focus. I have to say that if you're coming to Boston (or traveling anywhere, for that matter) for the purpose of shopping at Target and Best Buy, then I don't understand your motivation. I actually don't know where to find those big box stores in the Boston area. But presumably your reason for traveling also includes enjoying a bit of touristic activity, and Back Bay is a very attractive and popular neighborhood.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Shopping

If you're really looking for the usual (like Best Buy and Target), I second wpsaukee's question, but I'll give you the answer I think you're looking for anyway. The densest shopping is in the Framingham/Natick Area, where you'll find almost any store known to mankind. The area is about a half hour west of Downtown Boston on the Mass.Pike (I-90) near Route 30. There are several hotels in that area as well.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Shopping

There is a Best Buy at the Galleria in Cambridge (near the Lechmere stop of the green line). I do now know of a Target that is easily accessible by public transportation. If you rent a car you might as well stay outside the city if you are looking for big box stores.

You'll find some more unique stores (some upscale) at Copley Place Mall, Newbury Street, Charles Street and Quincy Market. And of course there's the Wrentham Village Premium outlets, about 40 miles outside of Boston.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Shopping

There aren't really big box stores downtown, but there is a Best Buy at the corner of Newbury and Mass. Ave. The big shopping malls downtown are Copley Place (high end) and the Shops at Prudential. Googgle to see how they suit you. At Downtown Crossing therer is a Macy's, H&M, TJ Maxx. There is also an Apple store in Back Bay on Boylston. There is a Filene's Basement on Boylston, too, (Not the original unfortunately.)

Edited: 08 August 2011, 02:02
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Shopping

Yeah, I second all the other posts about the lack of Best Buy/Target stores in Boston. For good shopping, Back Bay is great. The Sheraton and Westin hotels are connected to two malls (the Prudential Mall being slightly more upscale) so you don't have to brave the elements! :-) You can also go up to the top of the prudential center building for the best view of all of Boston covered in a snow-white blanket! (Tacky wording, I know...) There's good shopping on Boylston and even better on Newbury Street, which are both adjacent to the prudential center and stretch toward the Public Gardens.

Good luck and enjoy Boston at Christmas!

Take care,

Arlingtonman13

Louisville KY
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Shopping

Thanks, this is good advise. Yes, I agree traveling to find the usualy Target's and Best Buy may not sound like a great plan but it is a great excuse to leave the kids at home, spend some time with the wife and get all the shopping out of the way in one weekend. I may rent a car for the day but sounds like we won't need it for the entire weekend. Assuming i stay in BackBay, can is a cab the best way to get their from the airport? Being from Louisville KY, not sure how well i will get around in snow driving in Boston traffic.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Shopping

You could take a cab (about $40), but if you have a manageable amount of luggage, you could take the blue line inbound on the T to the State Street stop then switch to the Green line outbound to Arborway and get off at Prudental, which is actually an indoor stop at the mall and a short walk to either hotel if you're staying @ sheraton or westin. You can usually get a good deal on either at LastMinuteTravel.com

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Shopping

I hate to ruin the image of a white Christmas and nobody can predict the weather ... but it USUALLY doesn't snow much before mid- late- December. When will you be here?

Boston...
Level Contributor
814 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Shopping

Patriot place @ Foxboro -Gillette Stadium and Wrentham Premium outlets would make a good day trip! or half day trip as well as stop at the Ocean State Job lot and Chirstmas Tree shops.

Boston...
Level Contributor
814 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Shopping

IF its cold enough, do ice skating on the frog pond if the frog pond is open for skating