We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip to Boston in the Fall -- Best area to stay

Manila, Plhilippines
Level Contributor
159 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Family Trip to Boston in the Fall -- Best area to stay

Our family will be in Boston on Oct 22-24. Originally planning an overnight stay but airfare from Washington to Boston is cheaper on a Sat rather than Sunday so we decided to cut our trip in Wahington and extend it in Boston.

Our children are ages 11-19 years old. It's all our first time to Boston and would like to know which area i should focus as location for our hotel. I have no idea of what sights to see while in Boston except to of course visit world renown Harvard.

We are open to suggestion on both places and area to stay and what things we should do while there. We will have full day and half for sight seeing. Thanks in advance for helping out

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Trip to Boston in the Fall -- Best area to stay

Most tourists prefer to stay in the area around Quincy Market, Back Bay , Boston Harbor or the Boston Common area.

As for things to do ... what do you like to do? We have US history (Freedom Trail); museums, a gorgeous public library, sports ... etc, etc.

On the top right of this screen you'll find "FAQs"; check out the very first one. Also, check out some of the trip reports found in that same area for things that others have done. On the top left there is a "things to do" link. Don't pay too much attention to the "popularity" of each attraction but rather read through a few and see what sounds interesting.

Manila, Plhilippines
Level Contributor
159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Trip to Boston in the Fall -- Best area to stay

thanks for your tips.... will definitely check them out :)

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Trip to Boston in the Fall -- Best area to stay

First time I'd sugest you stay in Quincy Market area. Plenty of hotel choice - Millennium Bostonian, Marrriott Long Wharf etc. Advantage of this location:

1. Closest area from airport

2. Right on Freedom Trail

3. Entertainment, restaurants, bars on your doorstep

4. Beside waterfront so IMAX, Aquarium, trolley tours, markets right there.

5. 2 mins from North End (Little Italy)

6. Aquarium, Park St & Govt Centre T stations 2 mins away.

You're also only 5-10 mins from Boston Common and most everywhere is walkable anyway. Some nice hotels near the Common include Nine Zero and Omni Parker.

Other main to stay is Back Bay but for me it's more about shopping & nightlife than tourist activity - especially with kids so that's whay I'd suggest Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall area.

Hope this helps.

Manila, Plhilippines
Level Contributor
159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Trip to Boston in the Fall -- Best area to stay

Hey thanks for the inputs and suggested hotels. I will check it out.

Boston...
Level Contributor
956 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Trip to Boston in the Fall -- Best area to stay

I would suggest the Woburn Area. lots of hotels options there and its a five minute drive to the Transit center

I would suggest Hampton Inn, Courtyard marriot, or Comfort Inn

Best Western Newenglander isnt bad either

all right off 93 on montvale ave exit, and a couple (hampton inn, courtyard) are off Washington St exit on 128/95

Easy access to the Anderson Woburn Commuter rail stop and parking area.

logan express to the airport too

and Manchester Shuttle to Manchester Airport

cab stand right at the RTC too

Woburn Mall nearby,

Burlington Mall within 15 min

Salem-N Shore, about a 30 min ride

Hampton Beach abotu a 45 min ride

Lexington-Concord about 20-30 min depending on traffic

Sullivan Square T station about 20-30 min depending on traffic

(maybe a bit longer if there's heavy construction traffic)

lots of services @ The Washington St Exit area, and the Montvale Area.

Cheaper prices in Woburn than downtown

Boston...
Level Contributor
956 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Trip to Boston in the Fall -- Best area to stay

Keep in mind it will be high prices like $100-300 a night depending on the hotel downtown, in woburn you can pay under $100 with some hotels a night.

and woburn you can still get in and out of the city if you don't mind public transit (commuter rails run pretty frequently, there's even a couple anderson-woburn express trains)

its a 20-25 min ride minus traffic to Sullivan Square T station (Orange Line)

and not that far to other garages like Oak Grove , and Wellington Garage on the orange line

Boston...
Level Contributor
956 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Trip to Boston in the Fall -- Best area to stay

SO factor in cost of the week/trip with hotel prices and where you want to stay sure you're closer to the attractions but is it worth it for $200-300 a night? at the Marriott ?

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,554 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Trip to Boston in the Fall -- Best area to stay

With only two nights in Boston, I would not recommend staying outside of the city and not as far away as Woburn. Hotel rooms are cheaper there for a reason, and you would have to add the cost of a car rental, transit parking, and the transit itself. And it wouldn't be at all convenient.

How many in your family? I ask because if there are more than 4, there are not as many hotel rooms that accommodate 5. Quincy Market/Waterfront is a good area and convenient for a short trip. But depending what you find for room, Back Bay, and theater district are also central. Boston is a compact city so you will be able to walk to many sights.

Boston...
Level Contributor
956 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Trip to Boston in the Fall -- Best area to stay

oh okay I didnt realize you were only there for 2 nights

In that case stay in the city

esp with a large family the cost can go up for transit parking etc

parking isnt bad at most "T" Lots its $ 5.50 all day $7 75 at the garages or something

T is around $2.00 each way but they have visitor passes 10 day passes and 7 day ones you can get as well as 3 or 5 day i think

only subway

Commuter rail is only 30 min from Woburn into town and a five minute drive from the hotels to the parking area.

when you factor in $200-300 per night at the hotels in the city

its still worth staying in Woburn and commuting than paying those kind of prices,.

I drive and park at Sullivan Square all the time for $5.50 when I go into town and drive from Winchester and its fine.

You can sometimes park at the parking meters by the Lechemere courthouse if you go in after 4pm - its a 2 hour limit and they shut off at 6pm so people leave the courthouse at 5,,, so space free up

great for red sox parking or evening parking alternative

Right now tho they have a shuttle bus system, from lechemere to north station - they are doing work on the tracks

but I find the busses are faster than the green line sometimes:PP

normally tho you can get right on the green line @ lechemere and best of al you;re pretty much guaranteed a seat

that said staying in Woburn wouldn;t be that bad for like 1-3 people but over 3 people i;d say stay in the city

Boston...
Level Contributor
956 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Trip to Boston in the Fall -- Best area to stay

oh the meters are free on Sunday in Cambridge and Lechmere area

after 6pm free too weekdays and weekends

1 quarter = 15 min of time

so you can park around 4 or 5 and go into the north end or something.. for dinner, then head to the sox game or walk around town