We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Itinerary for 1 1/2 Days

Cumming, Georgia
11 posts
Save Topic
Boston Itinerary for 1 1/2 Days

We are 2 adult couples traveling to Maine and spending 1 1/2 days in Boston at the end of September. We will be arriving late morning or early afternoon on Thursday and flying out late morning Saturday. We were thinking of going to Harvard, doing a tour of the Freedom Trail and a Duck Boat Tour, which my friend has her heart set on. Is this all doable in the time frame we have? Any hotel suggestions are helpful. We are looking for a moderately priced hotel. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Harvard
Harvard
Massachusetts
Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail
14,288 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Itinerary for 1 1/2 Days

It IS doable. You could do a Harvard Square excursion on Thursday evening (www.bostoncitywalks.com), arrange a Freedom Trail Walking Tour for Friday morning and then take a Duck Tour Friday afternoon. However, you'll need to prearrange all this if you're going to squeeze it all in. Make sure your hotel is in Downtown or Back Bay and not outside the city, so you're not wasting valuable time commuting back and forth.

Edited: 17 August 2011, 16:24
Mentioned in this post
Back Bay
Back Bay
430 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Itinerary for 1 1/2 Days

If you are only in Boston for 1 1/2 days I am not sure seeing Harvard would be top of the list.

I am not sure why Havard is a tourist attraction in the first place since it is just a bunch of college buildings. I know there is a tour...maybe...that makes it worth it?

Mentioned in this post
Harvard
Harvard
Massachusetts
Cumming, Georgia
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Itinerary for 1 1/2 Days

We could definitely skip Harvard. Any other suggestions on what to do? Also, specific hotel suggestions Downtown or in Back Bay would be helpful too.

Mentioned in this post
Harvard
Harvard
Massachusetts
Back Bay
Back Bay
430 Reviews
Boston, MA
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Itinerary for 1 1/2 Days

Harvard Square is the hub of the universe. A definite must-see, and easy and appropriate to visit in the evening on the Red Line.

Boston
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Itinerary for 1 1/2 Days

Yes, many years ago, the first time I drove by Harvard with an out-of-towner and saw that he was excited to see it, I was shocked. I had driven by all my life and never gave the place a second thought.

That said, although Harvard Square is much more "mally" and not as unique as it once was it is worth a visit for lunch or dinner, but maybe not if you are only here for 1.5 days.

Mentioned in this post
Harvard
Harvard
Massachusetts
Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Itinerary for 1 1/2 Days

Harvard is a good place to walk around, shop, eat and drink all in a centralized location. It's probably the easiest location someone could go to completely "wing it" for a while. Just don't feel the need to give money to the panhandlers, most of them are just bored hipster teens.

Mentioned in this post
Harvard
Harvard
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Itinerary for 1 1/2 Days

When folks are saying "Harvard" here, it sounds like they really mean "Harvard Square". This is totally different than Harvard Yard, which was the original campus for Harvard. And I suspect it doesn't include the Brattle Street area either, which has a whole a history and set of architecture attached to it. I think it's important to include ALL of these facets when you come into the area. That's NOT so easy to "wing it" when you take this into account.

Edited: 17 August 2011, 22:31
Mentioned in this post
Harvard
Harvard
Massachusetts
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Itinerary for 1 1/2 Days

The Parthenon and the other rubble on the Acropolis are just a bunch of buildings, too. In fact, one could argue that they're less interesting than the Harvard buildings, since nothing happens in them any more.

Harvard has academic, historical, architectural, and aesthetic significance. I don't know why it should be surprising that many tourists are interested in seeing it.

Mentioned in this post
Harvard
Harvard
Massachusetts
Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston Itinerary for 1 1/2 Days

Agreed. At this point, I'd consider the historical value of Harvard University much more interesting than the mall/array of banks that is much of Harvard Square these days.

That said, I don't think everything needs to be done via guided tour if one just wants an overview. There are maps/printed guides for this sort of thing.

10. Re: Boston Itinerary for 1 1/2 Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 11:18