We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

small towns around Boston

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
small towns around Boston

can someone please tell me of a small town that is easy to get to from Boston by public transport?

it is proving hard to find on the net.

is there a train or us to Woodstock?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: small towns around Boston

There is no train to Woodstock Vermont or Woodstock NH. Public transportation in the US is nothing like Europe.

You cold do a day trip by train to Saelm MA or Rockport MA which have some small town charm, but are very different from Woodstock. If you are here between mid-May and Mid-Oct you could take the ferry to Provincetown ... but that gets VERY busy in the summer months, so may not be what you are looking for either.

Would you be willing to rent a car?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: small towns around Boston

Rockport, Concord or Newburyport all came to mind. All are reachable via commuter rail.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: small towns around Boston

Manchester-by-the-Sea and Ipswich are both on commuter rail lines (Rockport and Newburyport, respectively). Not sure if you're looking for accommodations there or not--they are limited, but there are shops and restaurants within walking distance of the train station that can occupy a few hours.

Also Hamilton is on the Newburyport branch of the Rockport/Newburyport commuter rail line. There are no accommodations that I'm aware of, but it is truly a small town and very pretty, especially in the fall. A walk around and lunch perhaps and then you can probably hop on the next train.

You can also travel to Marblehead by bus from Boston.

http://mbta.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: small towns around Boston

You mentioned Autumn color in one of your other posts and seem to be looking for a small, attractive New England town. The foliage changes at different times from North to South.

You might consider a few day in a town like Concord MA if you are here when the colors have changed. That's one of my favorite Autumn spots and it is an area set up for tourists.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,253 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: small towns around Boston

You seem to want to go to Woodstock, VT, and you don't want to rent a car.

You can take a bus from Boston to Hanover, NH, then take a taxi from there to Woodstock, VT. I think that's your only option for getting there. The above suggestions for towns near Boston are great. Woodstock, VT, is not "near" Boston.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: small towns around Boston

We can guess at your intent from previous messages, but it would be helpful if you could tell us why you want to stay in a small town and what your requirements are for this town.

Getting from Boston to the town by public transportation is just one factor. It sounds like you will need a town with an active, central, walkable area with lodging because you won't want a car once you get there. Is this correct?

The suggestions above are good ones. For something further inland, Lenox, MA would be a good option. It's in the Berkshires with a charming "downtown" area. A popular tourist destination. Peter Pan bus can get you there from Boston. It's a 3.5 hour trip, with one connection in Springfield, MA.

The immediate Boston area does have lots of trees and pretty fall landscape. There was a discussion within the last few weeks on this board about places to see fall foliage using only public transportation.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: small towns around Boston

thanks for your input.

I think Concord wins!

Cheers

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: small towns around Boston

glad to hear we convinced you to choose Concord (where I was born. kind of a joke in my family unit that everytime we drive past Emerson Hospital, I mention that I was born there). It occurred to me that you might try to stay at this bed and breakfast at Walden Pond:

bedandbreakfastguide.com/maps/…thoreau.htm

the proprieter is an old family friend (and was with my father when he died at Emerson). I imagine she would pick you up at the train station, either in Lincoln or Concord.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: small towns around Boston

thanks for that

Boston...
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: small towns around Boston

Concord is indeed a lovely and very historic town, but you should be aware that the train station is at least 1km from the town center.

If you do take the train, there's a fantastic spot for a casual lunch just across the street from the train station -- called "La Provence," it features homemade salads and cold dishes. There are several tables, or take-away.

Don