We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak station stop

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak station stop

Hi, I am planning out a near future trip. I noticed that there a re 3 Amtrak stations in Boston although one is exclusive to Maine. I am planning to stay at the Radisson hotel in Boston and was wondering which amtrak stop I should arrive in. I think the station that says "downtown" would be the right one but want to make sure I don't end up in the wrong part of Boston. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak station stop

You have no idea how small Boston is! :-). Where are you coming from? It hardly matters what Amtrak station you get off at. For the Radisson, I guess south station would be best.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,020 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak station stop

You could walk from Back Bay Station, but if you're taking a taxi, then either one will work.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak station stop

Sandy, since you are from NY I assume you're coming from the south. If you can, get off at the Back Bay amtrak station and either take a cab or transfer to the Orange Line and take it to Tufts Medical Center (one stop in the direction of Oak Grove)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak station stop

Thanks for the replies. Is there a big difference in which stop I get off? Taking a cab is not a big deal because I will be walking around the city the rest of the trip.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,020 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak station stop

It's not a big difference, but Back Bay Station is a little closer. And it's also the first station you'll come to. Taking the Orange Line doesn;t make a whole lot of sense since you'll overshoot the Radisson by more than the distance from the Back Bay Station.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak station stop

Back Bay Station and South Station are about 5 minutes apart. The train ticket costs the same no matter which one you choose. South station is a big station with amenities such as Red Caps, restaruants, waiting areas. Back Bay is much smaller. Either one works.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak station stop

Back Bay is marginally closer to the Radisson than South Station (I was actually surprised by this). It's about a nine minute walk from Back Bay Station and an 11 minute walk from South Station, but since you might get lost, I guess a cab is the way to go. Lots of cabs at South Station.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak station stop

You should get off at Back Bay Station. It is closer to the Radisson. It will be faster if you take a cab and it is easy to walk. The best walking route is to exit the rear of the station toward Clarendon St. Turn left on Clarendon, 1/2 block to Stuart St. Then go right on Stuart until you come to the Radisson, about 4 blocks. If you end up going out the front of the station, turn right on Dartmouth 1/2 block to Stuart, then right on Stuart.

Edited: 25 August 2011, 13:48
9. Re: Amtrak station stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 17:24