We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Sturbridge Village vs. Plimouth Plantation-- discuss!

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Old Sturbridge Village vs. Plimouth Plantation-- discuss!

We'll be in Boston in October with our three kids, (13, 11, and 7) and figured they would enjoy a visit to either Old Sturbridge Village or Plimouth Plantation. Which would you pick, and why? Thanks!

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
548 reviews
from US$89.10*
US$99.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour...
1,007 reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
459 reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
636 reviews
from US$76.00*
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Sturbridge Village vs. Plimouth Plantation-- discuss!

I assume you will be renting a car to get there although we always recommend you not have a car in the city (parking is pricey).

Here's one discussion we have had on the topic: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k407662…

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Sturbridge Village vs. Plimouth Plantation-- discuss!

Thanks for the link, Mahj!

Yes, we're planning on spending one day outside the city, so we'll be renting a car and returning it the same day-- hence, our plans to visit one or the other, and not both.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Sturbridge Village vs. Plimouth Plantation-- discuss!

Having been to both, I'm slightly partial to Old Sturbridge Village. I just felt like there was more variety in the buildings and the demonstrations of crafts/occupations that were provided. It's really more of a personal opinion, however. They have a lot of events for the kids as well. Check out their web site: http://www.osv.org

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Sturbridge Village vs. Plimouth Plantation-- discuss!

waterfront area vs inland. but since you won't be going to both, you won't know what you missed at the other. pick one.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Sturbridge Village vs. Plimouth Plantation-- discuss!

I am no longer a kid, but personally I pick Plimouth Plantation. I think it is awesome. It's amazing to talk with the actors. There are people doing traditional crafts of the era, too. The buildings are so different from anything modern. They have these open hearths, just flames in the middle of the house on the dirt floor . . . very cool. There is a bit of a fort. There is a Native American settlement. You can't believe these people survived when you think about the harsh weather and everything (and about half of them did die in the first year, I believe). I think it's more mind blowing than Sturbridge. You do also have a pretty view of the water from Plimouth, although it's not right on the water's edge. Plus, you can easily go into the town of Plymouth before or afterwards, with more historical things, the waterfront, and lots of cafes and restaurants. The waterfront also has the Mayflower II, which you can visit.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Sturbridge Village vs. Plimouth Plantation-- discuss!

It's been a while since I've been to either, so my exact memories are kind of fuzzy. But, they are the same types of attractions, "living historical settlements" or whatever. I think the kids might enjoy Plimoth more because they will be able to connect to the whole Pilgrims/Indians/Mayflower/Thanksgiving thing.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Sturbridge Village vs. Plimouth Plantation-- discuss!

I agree with going to Plymouth. After your visit to Plimouth Plantation, you can wander along the waterfront to see the Plymouth Rock and also go on the Mayflower. There are a lot of nice shops. I think you'll enjoy it.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Sturbridge Village vs. Plimouth Plantation-- discuss!

I'm biased, because I used to work at OSV, but that would be my pick. For one thing, tickets are good for two days, which is an indication of how much there is to see and do. Often there are special hands-on activities for the kids, which is a great way to learn. Check out the OSV calendar of events for the dates you have in mind -- that might tip the balance one way or another.

If you do go to OSV, think about having lunch or dinner at the Publick House (in the town of Sturbridge, not in the museum). It's an 18th-century tavern, quite beautiful, and they have a great bakery full of treats you can take away for later!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Sturbridge Village vs. Plimouth Plantation-- discuss!

I like both sites, but both are different in the way the staff interacts and the time period of the settlement.

At OSV the staff explains to you what is going on and they are contemporary guides--they live in the same year as you do. At Plimouth Plantation the staff take the roles of the early settlers. They live in the 1620s and can only answer questions with that limitation (i.e. "I'm from Texas," Plimouth Plantation people, "never heard of it").

If I had to choose one, I'd choose Plimouth Plantation but I like them both. Plimouth does show you how the settlement here got started. The Wampanoag area is a great addition to Plimouth and informative.

You'll have fun no matter what you decide. If you go to Plimouth prepare your children for the experience and they'll get a lot more out of it.

10. Re: Old Sturbridge Village vs. Plimouth Plantation-- discuss!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 03:17