We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston history book

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Boston history book

We leave for Boston in less than two weeks now. Looking for book to read on plane. Would like a good history of Boston to read, any suggestions? Hope to find it at library.

Also plan a week in NH. so could expand history book to include more on New England.

I sort of like bios, Maybe I should look for something about the Adams.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,143 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston history book

Boston and New England have a varied history ... what time period?

A few that I've liked that are Boston-specific and post revolution (way post) are The Boston Italians by Stephen Puleo;

All Souls: a family story from Southie by Michael McDonald

Common Ground by J Anthony Lucas

Another Puleo book that I just found but hIaven't read yet is A City So Grand: The Rise of an American Metropolis

If you plan to head to Cape Ann, The Perfect Storm will give you a feeling for Gloucester.

Are you going to Salem MA? How about Salem Witch Judge by Laplante?

barnesandnoble.com/w/…

barnesandnoble.com/w/…

barnesandnoble.com/w/…

barnesandnoble.com/w/…

barnesandnoble.com/w/…

barnesandnoble.com/w/…

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston history book

I should have said more. My family arrived in Boston in 1632 on the Lyon, William Heath. But also had others who came a bit later. none were famous.

My wife had 13 ancestors on Mayflower, maybe. I had 3. These were Cooks and Whites. and others. also Winslows a bit later

But also my grandmother from Ireland came in 1892. But only stayed less than 10 years.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,143 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston history book

Then how about Mayflower by N.Philbrick? II haven't read this, but other family members have and liked it.

barnesandnoble.com/w/…

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,970 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston history book

I second Nathaniel Philbrick's Mayflower. And there's a good chance your library will have it.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,471 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston history book

Here's a post-Mayflower, pre-Revolution suggestion: The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity by Jill Lepore.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston history book

Thanks for the good ideas. will go to Library and see what they have.

DFound I have Mayflower by Kate Caffrey and Plymouth Colony by Stratton. Had forgotten that.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,970 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston history book

Philbrick's book is different from earlier histories--and very readable. You get a better feeling for the Pilgrims, their good and bad points.

Boston
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston history book

Paul Revere's Ride, by David Hackett Fischer.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston history book

I went to Library today, picked up the Phillbrick and LePorte books. I see Philbrick also covers some of philips war . Will spend a little time with them, I may quick read some of them before we go. Looks like interesting stuff to know more about.

I also picked up a book The Brave Bostonians by Philip McFarland. Story about three men, Thomas Hutchinson, Josiah Quncy and Benjamin Franklin. or so flaps say. think I will quick read that too.

By quick read i mean page through the chapters and note main headings. may read a few paragraphs. I am not a speed reader.

Edited: 06 September 2011, 19:37
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston history book

Forgot

For some reason I could not read your links earlier, today I could. A city so grand sounds interesting. Not sure what I want to read about Salem

Edited: 06 September 2011, 20:07