We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need hotel for college visits

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
columbia, md
2 posts
Save Topic
Need hotel for college visits

Visiting BC and Northeastern this weekend with my teen daughter. Will also be visiting a friend at MIT and would like to tour downtown Boston a bit. Any suggestions on a hotel? Flying in, but will have a rental car. I'd like to spend less than $200. Saw good prices on Marriott in Newton, which is close to the T. Any suggestions?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need hotel for college visits

Since you plan to visit BC and you already have a rental car then I would stick with the Marriott in Newton. Another alternative would be Hyatt Place in Medford. Free parking and close to MIT. They also offer a shuttle to the The T for you Northeastern visit.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need hotel for college visits

The Mariott in Newton is nice and the parking rates should be less then Boston Hotels.

If you have the car, I would use it to go to Northeastern. NU should provide you will parking. Taking the t there will take a long time.

I would drive as well from the newton mariott to BC. The drive is easy and should take no more than 15 minutes. Again, I would think that BC provides spots for visitors.

You could look at the midtown hotel which is in walking distance to NU and has decent parking rates.

The midtown would be better suited to get to MIT. You can catch a bus not far on Mass Ave which drops you there.

For touring Boston , the midtown is a great choice.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need hotel for college visits

You might want to consider not getting a car and putting the money toward a hotel downtown. Back Bay would be a good location. You could take the Green Line T to NU and BC. You could even walk to NU. The ride out to BC is a bit long, maybe 45 minutes, not because it's that far, but because the trolley makes a million stops. But the ride out is above ground and you go right through Brighton/Allston which have big student populations so you can get a look at that area. You can get to MIT on the T, too. And you would be in a better location for the tourist sites downtown.

If you are planning to rent a car so you can drive to a T stop in Newton I don't think it makes a lot of sense. If you were driving here yourself it would make some sense to stay there to save on downtown parking fees.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need hotel for college visits

Just a heads up that there is a home game at BC on Saturday, Sept. 17. - BC vs. Duke - at 12:30 - so the area will be very busy and traffic slow. Plan accordingly.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need hotel for college visits

During football games at BC parking is just about impossible. There is no parking on campus unless you have a football parking pass and parking on nearby residential streets is not allowed on game days.

columbia, md
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need hotel for college visits

Thank you all so much for your help. Luckily we're visiting Northeastern on Saturday and BC on Monday.

I guess I'm a control freak and really want the flexibility of a car. Decided to stay at Marriott Newport. Looking forward to a nice trip. Will review when we return!

Thanks again.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need hotel for college visits

I assume you mean Mariott in Newton. Having a car will save you a lot of time and give you the opportunity to cover lot of ground.

8. Re: Need hotel for college visits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 16:17