We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First but short visit

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
First but short visit

Hi All, I would like help with finding a hotel for a weekend trip to Boston this October. We want to be able to walk or take public transport to see some of the historic sites in central Boston plus we have a nephew at Harvard (without a car) whom we would like to take to dinner. Any suggestions for a hotel in the $150/ night range? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,457 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First but short visit

First, October is one of Boston's busiest months, so be prepared for that. Secondly, for us to possibly help you, you'll need to be much more specific. Dates, number of people, etc.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,181 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First but short visit

Alan is right. All that info matters ... and hotel prices vary based on what's going on when you visit (basic supply and demand). As Alan already said, October is a popular time for visitors.

Boston
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First but short visit

$150 in October is going to be a tough nut to crack. You could try Priceline, Hotwire and Lastminutetravel.com, but I bet you won't get a rate that low.

As far as meeting your nephew he could easily come in and meet you via the Red Line, or you could go out and meet him, take in some of Harvard Square while you're there.

Mentioned in this post
Harvard Square
Harvard Square
1,172 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First but short visit

I was thinking of the weekend of the 14-16th of October. Just my husband and myself. We could consider the previous weeekend also. We are coming from St. Louis so it will be a very short weekend. I have checked around a bit and see that a lot of the B & B's are booked. I even looked at houseboats. I thought I might do better at the larger hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Boston...
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First but short visit

First, almost anywhere you stay in Boston proper will bring you close to the sights or the "T". The most pressing issue you have right now is your budget. $150 is not realistic in October in Boston. Add to that the fact that you are looking at a weekend which brings higher rates. On top of that, the weekend you are considering is the same weekend of the Boston Book Festival and visitors, vendors , authors and their collective entourages will result in high demand for hotel rooms, especially in the area around Copley. You may find a room at some of the larger chain hotels like the Sheraton, but I doubt you'll find it for under $150.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,181 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First but short visit

The American Academy of Pediatrics is having a convention Oct 15-17. It is expecting 12,000 attendees. People have been looking for inexpensive hotels without much success for that particular weekend for a while. The prior weekend is a 3-day weekend, Columbus Day and hotels north of the city are often taken up by Topsfield Fair exhibitors. In case you are considering the following weekend (22-24), it is the Head of the Charles Regatta which causes a heavy demand for hotel rooms.

If you and hubby can manage with 1 bed (double or queen) and possibly a small room, you might want to try bidding on priceline.

You can also check hotwire and last minute travle, but please be careful. A hotel with a very attrcactive price marked "Airport Boston-Saugus" is actually in the suburb of Saugus, not in Boston and not on any public transportation line ... necessitating a very expensive out-of-town taxi ride or a rental car .... so much for savings!

I tried to look on LastMinuteTravel.com but their site is done for maintenance.

I checked hotwire.com, but the cheapest hotel I see for Oct 7-9 (Columbus Day weekend, the 10th is a holiday) actually IN Boston is a 2 1/2* hotel Back Bay/Copley Square area for $215/night.

For Oct 14-16 there's only a few hotels listed and none in Boston close to your budget.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ... but as others have said, Boston is very popular in October.

Mentioned in this post
Charles Hotel
Charles Hotel
1,997 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Copley Square
Copley Square
653 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First but short visit

It looks like most rooms for your budget in Downtown Boston are full that weekend. You might want to look in to towns close to Boston that are near the T.

Check out the Winthrop Arms. I am not sure if there is availability but their room rates are below your budget and you can get to Boston and Harvard via bus and subway. If you do stay at the Arms, call Viking Taxi when you arrive at Logan Airport, they are very reasonable any much cheaper than taking a Boston Cab to Winthrop.

http://www.winthroparms.com/accom.asp

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First but short visit

Thanksto all for your advice. I appreciate your efforts! I'll use your suggestions for further research.

9. Re: First but short visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 23:16