We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frugal Travelers!

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newman Lake...
Level Contributor
190 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Frugal Travelers!

We will be in Boston October 2 thru the 8th before we hop into the rental and head up the coast. Would it be worth it to buy an Entertainment Book mostly for the restaurant coupons?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frugal Travelers!

With so many coupon opportunities such as Groupon and LivingSocial, I haven't used the Entertainment Book in years. My experience in the past has been that the better restaurants are not included. If I were being frugal, I would choose instead to eat in some of the nicer restaurants at lunch and more casual ones for dinner.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frugal Travelers!

I sent you a PM.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frugal Travelers!

Look to see what you are interested in visiting and what restaurants you would like to dine at, then check to see if it is available in the current Entertainment Book. Usually this time of year, you can buy the "old" book for cheap since most coupons expire in November. The new 2012 book comes out soon, so make sure if you buy the book that it is the 2011 edition.

Yes, Groupons seem to be taken over. I was once a big fan of the Entertainment Books but now get most deals thru online sites like Groupons etc.

Let us know your plans and maybe we can help you get the best bank for your buck.

Enjoy!

Newman Lake...
Level Contributor
190 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frugal Travelers!

The people on this board are so very amazing to help travelers like us better enjoy the City of Boston!!

Will007 who used to frequent this board helped us get 7 days and 6 nights at the Boston Sheraton for $787.00. I am so glad I took his advice because it has turned out to be a great deal for a "frugal traveler". We will be there October 2 thru the 8th, then rent a car and head north!

By reading through posts I have written down some restaurants that we might like? We don't care for chains, we like the "hole in the wall" independents. So here is a list to flame or add to:

Speeds Hotdog Cart

Kelly's diner

Yankee lobster

Pour House

East Coast grill

Sam Lagrassa's

Steve's Authentic Greek Cuisine

Could anyone recommend deli's or pubs? It would be very fun to have dinner in South Boston. I am rambling because I can't wait to get on the plane! I will stop for a bit until I think of more questions!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frugal Travelers!

Kelly's Diner in Somerville is a GREAT place for breakfast unfortunately it is a little off the beaten path.

Yankee Lobster is pretty much in South Boston you could also grab a lobster roll from Sullivan's at South Boston's Castle Island. Fort indepence located at Castle Island offers free tours on the weekends.

Enjoy!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frugal Travelers!

Boston has an emerging food truck scene that might interest you since you put Speed's on your short list. I've been covering them all summer. There are three trucks at City Hall at lunch time each day. Three parking space in the vicinity of Copley Square and a few trucks along the Greenway with the area outside of South Station a favorite spot.

Three more trucks take turns near the fountain at the Christian Science Center.

Lots of photos, links and details here.

www.bostonzest.com/street-foodfood-trucks/

Speed's does belong on any short list. He is also doing an incredible grilled pastrami sandwich now so bring your appetite.) And, call before you go all the way to New Market because Chef Greg has had to take a few days off recently. The phone number is on the website.Some Sunday's he's at the SOWA Open Market in the South End with about 10 more food trucks.

http://www.bostonspeeddog.com/home-index.html

Here's the food truck locator from the city's site.

cityofboston.gov/business/…schedule-tabs.asp

I like Cafe Jaffa on Gloucester Street better than Steve's. Trident Booksellers cafe on Newbury Street is another option in that area.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frugal Travelers!

Another option instead of The Entertainment book for restaurant coupons is www.Restaurant.com but make sure before you buy that you look for their discount codes. At the end of each month, they usually have 80% off deals. Currently the discount code is DATE for a 70% off discount.

BTW, I am so happy that Will007 was able to help you with a great room rate. He is no longer on these forums. We miss him very much, he was a great asset to the Boston and Massachusetts forums. The forums are not the same without him.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Frugal Travelers!

The food trucks are a great idea if you are on a budget. I love the food from the Clover Food Lab truck, they use a lot of local ingredients and the food is fairly healthy.

http://www.cloverfoodlab.com/?page_id=2248

I really like East Coast Grill (for seafood, mostly, I'm not too impressed with the barbeque), but it's not what I think of for a cheap meal...they do a terrific Sunday brunch which is much less expensive.

This is a good site for tracking down daily food deals

http://thefoodmonkey.com/bardeals/

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frugal Travelers!

Veronica,

The Food Monkey is new to me, thanks for sharing.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frugal Travelers!

Scrubtech,

The current 80% discount code for www.restaurant.com is FALL