We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what do i wear...........going mad here

england
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
what do i wear...........going mad here

Arriving on saturday for 1 week, have been checking the weather for the last couple of days, its different every time i look, so my question please is do i pack sweaters, jeans and thick coat, or shirts and shorts and sandels , or a bit of both, taking into account i feel the cold but the temp looks pretty good , just dont want to over pack, as i need room to buy goodies to take home, also do you think an umbrella would be a good move

Many thanks

Ann

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
591 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,054 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour...
703 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise on a...
463 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: what do i wear...........going mad here

I wouldn't pack shorts/sundresses/ sandals or a heavy coat, but anything in between should suffice, and plan on wearing layers that can be easily removed/added since it's likely to be cooler in the mornings and evenings and warmer during the day.

If you don't have a small umbrella, just pick one up here--it seems you'll likely need it.

Boston
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what do i wear...........going mad here

Veronica is right. There's no need yet for a heavy winter jacket, but it is starting to get past shorts weather (unless you're a college student and wear them all year with flip flops). Sweater and/or jacket will likely be needed especially at night. You could throw in a pair of shorts in case we get a very warm day.

Weather here is very unpredictable more than a couple of days out, and we are transitioning from summer to fall, so there can be quite a bit of variability.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,811 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what do i wear...........going mad here

Agree with the first two posters. You may be able to wear capri pants and sandals in the daytime, but I fear that shorts weather is sadly passing. The forecast for tomorrow thru Tuesday looks a tad gloomy, clouds and periodic rain, with temps in the low 70s. I would bring a lightweight rain jacket, couple light sweaters to layer over T shirts during the day, probably a fleece as well since it can get chillier at night. Heavy coat is thankfully not yet needed!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what do i wear...........going mad here

But now it looks like Sunday might be a shorts day!!?!!

You never know with Boston weather :)

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,811 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what do i wear...........going mad here

Actually, I just left the office today and it is warm and sunny here in the 'burbs. I'd wear shorts if I wasn't working!

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what do i wear...........going mad here

I'd bring one pair of shorts, and a mix of of long pants and capris. I'd mainly pack short sleeve shirts but bring at least one with long sleeves for the evening. Pack a sweater and also a light jacket. I'd bring an umbrella. Also, one pair of sandals, one pair of sneakers for walking, and one pair of dressier shoes for evening. The trick is to dress in layers. It may start out in the 50's in the morning but can warm up pretty quickly by lunch time. Have a great time. If you need something, you can always buy it here so pack light. :)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what do i wear...........going mad here

I hope you brought those shorts and sandals:)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: what do i wear...........going mad here

It's not like it's in the 90's or 100's here. You can wear slacks or skirts or whatever with shoes or sneakers or whatever and you're not going to make yourself cook in the heat. Bringing layers is still the plan to account for the vagaries of our weather.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,811 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what do i wear...........going mad here

I was thinking of you, travelmadfamily, as I drove to work sweating from the humidity yesterday and saw that the temp was 86. Regretting telling you that summer was over, but that is our unpredictable NE weather!! Hope you packed those shorts!

10. Re: what do i wear...........going mad here

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 22:18