We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Intercontinental or Liberty Hotel??

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
51 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Boston Intercontinental or Liberty Hotel??

I am visiting to run the Boston Marathon. All the finishline area hotels (ie. Copley area) are either sold or extreamly overpriced. I can get a decent deal (priced the same) at either the Intercontinental or Liberty. Can anyone out there suggest the best of the two properties? Would like to have easy access to and from Copley and Boylston (T is fine) but stay in a nice place as we will be there for 3 nights. One more thing, the Intercontinental can guarantee 2 seperate beds for my friend and I, however the Liberty can just "take the request".... not a deal breaker if the Liberty is a lot better.

Thanks for your knowledge and help!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Intercontinental or Liberty Hotel??

They are both good choices but The Liberty will be little closer to where you want to be. It is located adjacent to the redline's T  subway stop and if you choice to walk to Copley instead,  it is a really nice 20-25 minute stroll.

The InterContinental is near the waterfront and next to the Rose Kennedy Greenway. It is about a 7 minute walk to the closest T stop and it is about a 30 minute stroll to Copley. 

Both hotels have lively night life, The Liberty Hotel's lobby becomes the center attraction for nightlife. Both are great picks but they are different hotels,although close enough to each other , they are located in different areas of th city. The InterContinental is near the Harbor and The Liberty Hotel  ( which  used to be an old jail) is located in The Beacon Hill/ Charles Street area.  I think if your focus is Copley ,that I would choice The Liberty Hotel over the InterContinental but they are both nice hotels and great picks.

Enjoy!

Edited: 22 September 2011, 14:37
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
51 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Intercontinental or Liberty Hotel??

Thanks for your fast response! It was pretty inline with what I thought, still a bit torn.... Is either hotel closer to food/starbucks etc than the other or about the same?

Also are both easy to get to when taking the T from Logan?

Thanks again.

And finally, if it was you travelling in this situation and keep in mind the perhaps having to share a bed issue, what would be your final choice... yes, my fate rests in your hand ;)

Thanks!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Intercontinental or Liberty Hotel??

The Liberty Hotel is just a few blocks away from a Starbucks and near a Whole Foods but there are great independent shops nearby. From the airport, the Liberty would be easiest if taking a cab but it is pretty doable to take the T. Just be warned that this unique hotel can get loud at night but if you enjoy nightlife this is the place.

The InterContinental is a litlle further from a Starbucks and the T. But you can get to The InterContinental from the airport via a water taxi.

You just need to weigh what is important to you. If you are really exhausted after running . The Liberty Hotel is RIGHT at a T stop so no walking will be needed after the race but remember it can get loud and lively at night.

Edited: 22 September 2011, 15:15
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
51 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Intercontinental or Liberty Hotel??

Decided to switch to the Liberty... I think you are right, being close to the T is priceless and the Liberty Hotel looks really cool... and I KNOW I am going to want to party after the marathon!

Thanks so much for making my decision a little easier!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Intercontinental or Liberty Hotel??

Just so you don't get sticker shocke, drinks are a bit pricey at The Liberty Hotel but I think you made the right choice. Good Luck running the Boston Marathon!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
51 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Intercontinental or Liberty Hotel??

Well luckily there's only one night I can drink and that's the night after the race! HAHA.

Thanks. I think this is going to be a far cry from my last two marathons in Boston -

This year we got a hotel last minute in the Financial District: Captains Quarters or something, cheap and just satifactory...

The year before I roomed with someone that was smart to book early at The Hilton Back Bay whcih was decent...

This year I decided I was going to get a nice place by booking way in advance... I think I am going to be much better off, don't you?!

Have a fabulous day :-)

Boston
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Intercontinental or Liberty Hotel??

They are both very nice hotels. For me the 2-bed thing would make me choose the Intercontinental. The Interconitental is only about 10 minutes to South Station T. It is also close to Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market where there are a lot of bars. Both hotels are on the Red LIne, requiring you to switch to Green to get to Copley. The Intercontinental is also closer to the new Seaport District which has new restauraunts/bars that have been hopping.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
427 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Intercontinental or Liberty Hotel??

You can also try carbo-loading at Scampo in The Liberty the night before. It's Italian (though not particularly traditional) and is helmed by one of Boston's celebrity chef's, Lydia Shire. Make a reservation early, though, it's pretty popular.

From Th Liberty, the walk down Charles Street, across the Public Garden and up Commonwealth Ave, Newbury Street, or Boylston Street is LOVELY BTW. (take your pick of the three and take a left at Clarendon if you take Newbury or Boylston.) I do that walk nearly every day and never tire of it.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston Intercontinental or Liberty Hotel??

Hey, Boston2DC--Beacon and Marlboro you don't like?

I agree with you, but i think Marlboro Street, in particular, is a somewhat overlooked gem.

Boston...
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston Intercontinental or Liberty Hotel??

Nice choice with the Liberty Hotel. It is a little closer to the finish line and a much nicer walk. Plus, running talong the river is the best and it will be loaded with runners.