We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everyone loves leaving reccos right?!!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
121 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Everyone loves leaving reccos right?!!

Hey guys!

I use these forums to plan every trip I've ever taken, whether I post or not - so thanks for all you've done already!

My husband and I will be in Boston for a week Oct 4-11. We are visiting friends and we are both in our early (I can still say early at 24 right?!) twenties. We're all about culture, food, music - and I'm about shopping, the hubs is about history. We're super excited!

We have most of our activities planned, but I always love to ask this question. For you locals, if you were ever to move away from Boston - what is the ONE restaurant you would absolutely return to when you visited again?

Also - Caleb and I are renting a car for a full day and just joy driving. We'll make our way to scenic areas, the coast and Acadia National Park. Any absolutely cannot live without seeing stops along the way?

Thanks again! Looking forward to being in your neck of the woods!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,886 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Everyone loves leaving reccos right?!!

Rather than one particular restaurant, I would say eat in and walk around the North End.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,986 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Everyone loves leaving reccos right?!!

My favorite restaurant is the Daily Catch in the North End and on Northern Ave.

You do know that's it's about six hours from Boston to Acadia and that in October the days are short. I'm not trying to squelch your enthusiasm, but with limited day light and 12 hours of driving, I don't know how much else you'll get to see. On Oct 5, sunset in Boston is 6:19.

Edited: 24 September 2011, 00:01
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Everyone loves leaving reccos right?!!

I lived away from Boston for about ten years. THE place that I had to go to each time I came home for a visit was Kelly's Roast Beef for seafood!

Acadia is really far up into Maine. Other closer alternative locations in Maine could be Boothbay Harbor, Portland and a bit closer would be Ogunquit.

Enjoy!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Everyone loves leaving reccos right?!!

Toro in the South End. The food is fantastic (Spanish tapas), the prices are fair and the vibe is hip. If you are in your 20s and love food, you will love it. The grilled corn is delicious!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Everyone loves leaving reccos right?!!

Have to agree with the others that Acadia is not a destination for a day trip from Boston. We travel there often and it's at least 5 hours (with stops just for the bathroom and a quick lunch). You won't have much time there to explore the area and would then be traveling back to Boston primarily in the dark. To contrast, the city of Portland Maine is 2 hours from Boston - lots to see there and along the south coast of Maine (Ogunquit and Kennebunkport are nice coastal towns). That would be a pleasant day trip from Boston...

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
121 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Everyone loves leaving reccos right?!!

Thanks everyone. We're staying the night the day we travel-forgot to mention that part :)

Thank you all!!! All restaurant reviews sound awesome!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Everyone loves leaving reccos right?!!

Acadia is really very far even for an overnight. It's impossible to pick one restaurant that I would return, for. But, a Boston classic that I would want to return to is Hammersley's Bistro I would also like to go back to . L'Espalier which is an extremely high-end restaurant that is at the pinnacle of Boston dining. Not sure what you are looking for regarding price/ambiance. Have had some great meals at the Daily Catch in the North End which is a tiny rahter grubby hole-in-the wall that doesnt' take reservations. You will not get a concensus on restaurant choice unless you narrow you criteria down to be very specific.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
121 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Everyone loves leaving reccos right?!!

Oh I'm not looking for a consensus. I like hearing everyone's opinions then we choose from those!

Thanks again - these are all great. I think we've got plenty of wonderful options for all our meals!

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Everyone loves leaving reccos right?!!

Who is Caleb?

10. Re: Everyone loves leaving reccos right?!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 04:17