We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1-2 day excursions

LA, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1-2 day excursions

I have a business trip planned for Boston in mid June and was planning on taking a couple of days to myself. Since I have been to Boston many times I figured it might be a good opportunity to get out of the city, any suggestions on where to go? It will be just me and my husband, no kids, we like quaint towns in the vein of Cambria CA, Friday Harbor WA. Is Bar Harbor to ambitious for 2 days?

scituate, ma
Level Contributor
421 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1-2 day excursions

Bar Harbor is about a 5-6 hour drive. It is a gorgeous area but I'm afraid you'd be spending too much time in the car. Camden Maine is a bit closer, but still almost 4 hours. Camden is a picture perfect New England town with a town green and a beautiful harbor. If you don't mind an early start, it's a great destination.

If you want to visit Maine, there are many towns even closer. Portland is only about an hour and a half out of Boston. The Old Port area along the waterfront is a great district for shopping and dining. You could also meander along the coast and see some lighthouses (Portland Headlight, Two Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth.

Try posting a question on the Maine site for more responses.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1-2 day excursions

Destinations that come to mind are: Cape Ann (Rockport, Gloucester, Essex), the northern coastal towns of Salem & Newburyport, MA & Portsmouth, NH, Cape Cod (Provincetown, Wellfleet, Chatham) & the islands (Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard & Block Island), Newport, RI, and coastal Maine.

While I agree that Bar Harbor is a wonderful destination, as stated in a previous reply, it's quite a drive, and you may find towns along the way that you'd like, but if you take the scenic route along the ocean to see them, you may feel rushed. If you do decide that Bar Harbor is your ultimate destination, I'd head up there first via I-95, see Acadia National Park, then decide if you want to spend time in Bar Harbor. Then, if you still are not pressed for time, take Rte 1-A south at least as far as Boothbay Harbor, or perhaps Kennebunkport (a/k/a KenneBushport), and maybe Portsmouth, NH, before getting back on the highway to zip back to Boston.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1-2 day excursions

Hi Kadoogan,

I don't know why people from Boston never think to go south, but I really like the towns along the Connecticut river valley in CT. Old Lyme, Essex, Old Saybrook (former home of Katherine Hepburn). These are about as picturesque and quaint as can be. There's lots of shopping, very fine dining, all sorts of artists (pottery, glass blowing, painting, etc.),the Goodspeed Opera House, which is a site in itself (it's also been the proving ground for many musicals which ended up on Broadway). There are steam boat rides on the CT river, the Essex Whaling Museum (which is wonderful), Gilette Castle, which is very interesting too.

All of this is about a 2 hour drive from Boston, down I95. There's also Mystic CT, and the Mystic Seaport, which is a lot of fun too, if you like maritime history.

Check out the CT tourism website, or maybe one of these will give you some ideas:

http://www.ctrivervalley.com

http://www.goodspeed.org

http://www.essexct.com/main.htm

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1-2 day excursions

Hi Kadoogan,

If you have the time, check out my response to Cathster re: Around Boston. Wrote about a bunch places that are all might be a nice overnight trip for you guys.

Cozyharbor

P.S. Have been to Cambria; very nice! Also have been to Carmel, Monteray Bay and San Louis Obispo too. The views out to sea in SLO were gorgeous!