We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobsters

Atlanta, Georgia
3 posts
Save Topic
Lobsters

where do the locals go in Boston to eat Fresh Lobsters?

Edited: 27 September 2011, 03:50
Atlanta, Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lobsters

Where do the locals go in Boston, to eat fresh Lobsters?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lobsters

They cook them at home after they buy them at the supermarket.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,085 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lobsters

I rarely eat fresh lobster in Boston ... I eat it on vacation on cape cod! An occassional lobster roll from Kelly's is good.

My out of state co-workers get it at Legal Seafood, but I've never ordered it there.

Some of Irish Pubs around fanieul hall have lobster specials now ... but once it you hit november or so ... those go buy the wayside.

Edited: 27 September 2011, 04:47
Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lobsters

Peach Farm in Chinatown.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lobsters

OK...here is my list: but to be honest, I rarely buy lobster in the city but if I do, it's at places like Grand Canal, Whiskey's  or other local pubs (look for the lobster flag)but most of these establishments offer lobster as a special and are not on their regular menu. You can also go to Yankee Lobster. Most of the time I go to the supermarket and have my lobster steamed (along with steamed clams) and enjoy my lobster feast on my patio deck.

Here are other locations that I go for lobster, outside the city:

Within a quick T ride - Mount Vernon  in Somerville 

Further out....

Rockport's  Lobster Pool (Roy Moore's would be another alternative and easier access for a tourist)

Seabrook, NH (MA/NH border) Markey's (I was just there yesterday, enjoying the summer-like day) or right across the street to Brown's

Weathervane (Salem, NH and various other locations)

Warren's Lobster House in Kittery, Maine (right across the bridge from Portsmouth,NH)

I recently drove down to Charlestown, Rhode Island for the day, so I could enjoy All-You-Can-Eat lobster's at the Nordic Lodge 

For lobster rolls.....

Neptune Oyster 

Outside the city

The 99's ( get their hot roll) various locations

Belle Isle Seafood, East Boston (Blue line T to Orient Heights- walk or take the Winthrop Bus)

Further out Beach Plum, North Hampton, NH (or their new Portsmouth, NH location)

My favorite  lobster roll  is located way, way up in Maine at Red's Eat at Wicasett, Maine

I hear the lobster rolls are really yummy at Latitudes at The Wentwort-By-The-Sea, I plan on going here next week to try it out. 

Enjoy!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lobsters

Several of the restaurants on Union Street near Faneuil Hall have specials

on Lobster dinners, the Purple Shamrock being one. Also, Tia's at the Marriott

Long Wharf used to have good Lobster deals. Nice place but can be very busy and loud some nights.

Of course, Legal Seafood and other top notch places have good lobster but

the the cost can be quite high. If you've got the money, go for Legal's. There are several good locations in and around Boston, especially outside near the

Aquarium at Long Wharf.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lobsters

I can't speak for everyone but most locals cook their own lobsters at home, but when we don't feel like doing that (getting rid of the debris can be a bit of a chore) we go to restaurants and order them off the menu.

Jasper White's Summer Shack(s) does a good job of reproducing the at-home experience. I'm sure if you want you could take the debris by to your hotel and dispose of it yourself.

Any live lobster is a fresh lobster. I have confidence (based on anecdotal evidence) that any restaurant serving steamed or boiled lobster is serving "fresh" lobster.

Edited: 28 September 2011, 13:53
Foxboro...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lobsters

If you are near the summer shack, then I would go there.

If you are down by the water then try yankee lobster which is located at the end of Northern Avenue. Counter service during the day and decent prices.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lobsters

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request. You are very helpful. Thanks again.

10. Re: Lobsters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 16:18