We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston and New England Advice!

Liverpool
1 post
Save Topic
Boston and New England Advice!

Hi everyone, hope you're all doin well.

I'm coming to Boston and New England with my boyfriend in June and was wondering what the best travel guides are, what are the best things to go and see, the best hotels to stay in and the best restaurants.

We definately heading to boston and the cape but apart from that we're not sure where to head. I just tihnk it is such a beautiful area and want to explore there!

Thanks loads

Kate x

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston and New England Advice!

It's really hard to answer such a general question. My first inclination is to refer you to www.newengland.com. It's the website for Yankee Magazine, and offers links to sites that may help narrow down your interests.

Having said that, I suggest you look into Acadia National Park, and the coastal Maine region, the north shore of Massachusetts (particularly the Cape Ann area), Newport, Rhode Island, and perhaps the Berkshires.

A lot depends on how long you're going to be in the area, what your travelling method will be (car vs. public transit), etc.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston and New England Advice!

As JS said, it's difficult to answer such a general question. But, to help you get started on your research, I'll give you a few websites to check that have good information on Boston:

http://boston.citysearch.com

http://www.boston.com

http://www.bostonphoenix.com

As for New England itself, each state has an office of tourism. Each office will be happy to send you books and information packages with lots of ideas. Just google MA state tourism, Maine State tourism, etc. and order the information.

Here's the Massachusetts link:

http://www.massvacation.com/html/home.htm

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston and New England Advice!

Hi Kate,

Great books to buy for the New England area are any of the Explorers Guides by Christina Tree. There are ones for Maine, Massachusetts, the Cape, etc. Check Amazon.

Another Boston link to add to the others given:

www.bostoncitylinks.com

The site is great!

If you have any questions about specific locations/hotels, etc. on the Maine coast, post again. I am VERY familiar with this area and we'll try and help.

Cozyharbor

Florida
Level Contributor
55 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston and New England Advice!

Hey Kate!

It depends on a. your age b. what you want to see. In Boston in the summer it's kind of hokey but make reservations to go on a Duck Tour. I'm in my twenties and I always make my friends go when they come visit from out of town. I am not sure how long you'll be in the city or how much you plan on spending on hotels but the Colonnade is the best summer hotel in Boston because it has a rooftop pool. If you are into going out check out some places near Quincy Market for lodging the is the Millenium Bostonian which is part of the Copthorne group which I am sure you are familiar with to give you an idea. Quincy Market is fun in the summer and and there are plenty of bars in that area.

Cape Ann, Gloucester and Rockport are nice visits. Small fishing towns. If you have ever seen the movie Stuck on You with Matt Damon that is Rockport (even though in the movie I think it is supposed to be the Vineyard) and if you have ever seen The Perfect Storm or the Good Son that is Gloucester.

Salem is a nice area to walk around there are a few small museums and the Peabody Essex Museum which is a good visit.

Make plans in advance to go down the Cape. It is jammed in the summer so make sure you make hotel reservations and any other travel arrangements early!

Berkshires is nice, the Symphony plays out there in the summer.

If you leave more details I am sure everyone can give you some more advice!

scotland
Level Contributor
791 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston and New England Advice!

Hi Kate

We are going in July to Boston, then touring new england for 11 days and then going to New York. We used the book by "Spiralguide" Boston and New England to sort out an intinery, you can get in W H Smiths. It gives you all the info you will need. We booked all our hotels and inns by checking out this website and reading all the reviews.

Hope this helps