We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to buy decent wines?

toronto on
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Topic
where to buy decent wines?

...........staying near the rink for the first few nights, could you direct us to a decent wine store that has a great selection of california wines? Thanks.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to buy decent wines?

Rink? Do you mean the Garden where the Bruins play?

toronto on
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to buy decent wines?

........yes, comming in for the Bruin game.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to buy decent wines?

I'd check Cirace and Sons in the North End, but I'm not sure how expansive their CA selection is; they have a big focus on Italian wines/spirits.

I like Brix in the Financial District (they also have a South End location) too; very knowlegable staff.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to buy decent wines?

In addition to Veronica's suggestions: Also, Wine Bottega, on Hanover St, is not far from "the rink", or as everyone else calls it, the Boston Garden.

Bauer Wines on Newbury St *might* have a bigger selection of Cali wines, but I've never looked with that sort of specific goal. I have to admit, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find as many Cali wines as you could ever want in Toronto.

toronto on
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to buy decent wines?

.........ha ha......being an ex hockey guy........its the "rink"

Thanks for the retail suggestions.......all look good !.......plus they offer free delivery!

No we get very few California wines in Toronto, so pickings are slim......after doing many wine tours over the past few years...........have grown to love those big bold jammy California zins.......so when ever we travel to the USA its a treat.....plus very much enjoy the smaller wineries.......that would never reach our border.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to buy decent wines?

That's interesting. Because of our imbecilic interstate wine-shipping laws, I half-expected to hear that there was more CA wine in Toronto. Definitely check out all the wine stores listed. They all have knowledgeable staff who like talking about wine.

toronto on
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: where to buy decent wines?

.......thanks Rantipole. Just for your information........LCBO (liquer control board of Ont).......all retail wine and beer outlets are owned by the government.......therefore they have the largest puchasing power in North America......population of Ont....13,500,000.......so they purchase in huge quantities.......mostly Austalian......best bang for the buck......a winery find in Cal would only produce a small number of cases......so they tend to purchase from the well known winemakers.........the fact the dollar is pretty much at par has somewhat helped..........however by the time its taxed and duty, its much more expensive........for example .......7 deadly zins when it does surface would sell in Ont for $37.00 ..........in Arizona $11.00.......when returning from the US ......duty only allows 2 bottles 750ml ea......imbecilic I agree.

8. Re: where to buy decent wines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 18:15