We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Ames, Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
The Ames, Boston

Just got back from a great stay at the Ames Hotel in Boston. Need details?

suitcaseready.com/2011/…

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,391 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Ames, Boston

Great write up evening ! Thanks.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,299 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Ames, Boston

Good info, always nice to see travelers' photos of interior of accommodation.

Are our taxis more expensive than New York?

Edited: 14 October 2011, 10:23
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Ames, Boston

Very nice report, evening.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Ames, Boston

Thanks for this. I didn't realize how luxurious the rooms were there. Yes, cabs in Boston are more expensive than NYC. In fact there is some report that puts Boston at the top or near it for cab fares in the U.S.

5. Re: The Ames, Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 October 2011, 18:30
6. Re: The Ames, Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 October 2011, 18:30
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Ames, Boston

Thank you! Not sure what the practise is on this forum and if it would be deleted

Here, hash is chopped corned beef or something - it looks so scary and heart attack-causing, Ive never tried it! Then again, Im sure the Woodward hash had a lb of butter!

Yes, the cabs are definitely more expensive than in NYC. And, they definitely take advantage of people they assume dont know their way around. NYC cabs make money on the short hops, so the days of the Japanese businessperson paying $500 to get into the city from JFK are over.

The doorman at the Ames commented on the sly ways of the Boston cab drivers as soon as he saw the meter when I arrived. He warned me to be vigilant! A person working in the tourism office across from the Old State House also made a comment about it and said NYC cabs are much better.

Going back to South Street, I was more familiar with the layout of the city - and the driver attempted to take me toward Beacon Street to get to South Station from the Ames. I told him I knew the station was in the other direction, so he turned the right way to backtrack - but then managed to bring me about 5 blocks south before he turned and headed up to South Station.

Edited: 14 October 2011, 18:49
Foxboro...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Ames, Boston

From the ames to south station, going in the direction of Beacon Street was the correct way. Court Street is a one way and left on Tremont will put you right at the beginning of Beacon. If you had said the driver got on beacon, then you would have been correct in your assumtion.

Cabs from logan to downtown Boston are less expensive then from jfk or laguardia to mahanten. Even around town, boston cabs I find are less expensive and more enjoyble then new york or even providence cabs.

Edited: 15 October 2011, 15:12
Boston...
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Ames, Boston

Actually, typical breakfast "hash" in Boston and the general New England area is corned beef but many restaurants have their own versions of breakfast hash.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Ames, Boston

Thanks for the pics and report! We've never stayed there, so your info is helpful.