We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or fly from Boston to Niagara Falls?

London, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Drive or fly from Boston to Niagara Falls?

After a fly drive around the West Coast of USA last month, I am now planning a trip around the East Coast.

We want to travel from Boston across to Niagara Falls, but cannot decide whether to drive or fly.

Internet says it is approx 8.5 hrs drive across on I-90 (so will probably do an overnight stop) or we could jump on an internal flight which is only 1.5 hrs and fairly cheap. I like the idea of driving so we can really explore, but our last flydrive included Highway 1, California, which I'd imagine is pretty hard to beat!

So, I am wondering if anyone can advise me if the drive is worth doing i.e. scenic, things worth seeing, places worth stopping at etc. or should we fly?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive or fly from Boston to Niagara Falls?

There's lots of lovely countryside (albeit completely different from the California Coastal Highway) and many points of interest. A search in this forum for "Niagara Falls" will turn up plenty of discussion. A great many overseas visitors seem to be seized by the notion that combining a visit to New England with a visit to Niagara Falls is a good idea, and perhaps under some circumstances it is, although those of us who live in the northeastern US rarely think of them as being close together or related.

I'd say a lot depends on how much time you have and what else you're hoping to do and see on your visit. For example, driving to Niagara Falls might preclude driving to Bar Harbor... or Washington, DC... or any number of other places you might want to see.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive or fly from Boston to Niagara Falls?

We did this drive a couple of years ago. We stopped off at Cooperstown for the night - it is nicely situated on a lake and is also home of the Baseball Hall of Fame, which was interesting to visit. Of course, we also had to drive back again! For a change of scene, we took a different route back and stopped off at Bennington in Vermont, then headed to Ogunquit on the coast for a couple of nights, before returning to Boston for our flight.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive or fly from Boston to Niagara Falls?

I had family just outside Syracuse NY and drove that way many times. That drive is probably one of the most boring rides anyone could take. There is a lot of farm land and not much else. Maybe once you are out beyond Syracuse and get into the Finger Lakes region and Buffalo there might be something to visit but that is that is the last 1/3 of the ride. Cooperstown is a decent suggestion but I don't know how interesting that would be unless you follow baseball.

Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive or fly from Boston to Niagara Falls?

Ok, All the replies seems to be related to the drive, but I am curious as to when you are planning to visit these places?

Most of the attractions in Niagara Falls USA like Maid of the Mist & Cave of the Winds will close by end of October. Unless you are planning to visit in the next 10 days, you might not be able to do the boat ride or journey near/behind the falls. You will only be viewing them from a viewing area.

Personally I feel, best view of the falls is in the Canadian side. Also, there are lot more activities/things to do on Canadian side than American side.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive or fly from Boston to Niagara Falls?

Just curious, when you reach Niagara will you then fly home from there?

Also, if you were to drive from Boston, how much time would you be willing to use to take side trips?

Have not gone recently but in the past stopped at Cooperstown and Howe Caverns, stayed with a relative in Rochester. Overall we found the ride pretty boring.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive or fly from Boston to Niagara Falls?

The main route from Boston to Niagara, Interstate 90, is quite boring for much of the 8-9 hours you would be driving. The only mildly scenic parts of that route are the route through the Berkshire Hills between Springfield and the New York State line and part of the route through the Mohawk Valley between Schenectady and Utica, where the valley is so deep and steep-sided that it is almost a canyon, somewhat like the Mosel Valley in Germany. The rest of the route is sheer tedium. Of course, if you make detours, you can see some interesting spots, such as Cooperstown or the Finger Lakes, but any detours would add to the length of a long drive. If you wanted to spend 3 days covering this distance in a leisurely way and taking a more scenic route, then driving might be worthwhile, but otherwise I would just fly.

7. Re: Drive or fly from Boston to Niagara Falls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 23:18