We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

foliage?

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
129 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
foliage?

Any ideas where we can see colorful leaves today or tomorrow within an hour's drive of (south) Boston?

We went to our favorite place yesterday -- Lancaster, out Rt 2 / Rt 117 / I495, and it was green or bare. It seems that not only are the leaves changing late, they are falling without changing at all.

My nephew is visiting from Israel and has never seen fall foliage. It would be great to show him some.

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
549 reviews
from US$89.10*
US$99.00
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour...
1,010 reviews
from US$41.95*
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
459 reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
640 reviews
from US$76.00*
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: foliage?

The hurricane and warm fall have caused many leaves to fall and those that are left are changing late, as you noticed, so the only way to see more color is to go further due north, but not towards where the hurricane hit. That means Northern NH. Unfortunately, you'll have to travel more than an hour though to get there.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: foliage?

Not a great year this year, not even a good year. Many of the places that I drove to in the last couple of weeks have been a real disappointment.

If anyone has seen beautiful foliage anywhere in New England, please share. I have been searching!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: foliage?

We spotted some trees changing along the Charles River on Friday and there were a few beautiful spots in the Mt Auburn Cemetery when we drove through to check on the progress of the foliage. No big banks of color though.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: foliage?

I think you will need to go a little bit north for any good color. It is late starting this year. Why not head west on Rt 9, then north on either Rt 5 or Rt 91, to Keene NH then east on Rt 101 to Rt 12 to Rt 140 back to Boston? There are some nice colors popping out along the CT River.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: foliage?

I drove to Walpole, Kenne, Peterbourough, Hillsboro, and other south western NH towns last week but the colors were a big disappointment. Walked around central NH, yesterday, colors were not great. Went apple picking in Tyngsboro, MA on Saturday but the colors were not exciting. Believe it or not the best color I have seen so far this season, was in Connecticut last weekend but it was not great either :(

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: foliage?

Yes this year is a foliage disappointment. My spouse just drove up to and back from Montreal last week for a conference and he said that the color was terrible all the way. Brown, muddy colors. He drove mostly through VT and a bit of NH around Concord. :(

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
438 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: foliage?

I went up to golf at Sugarloaf last Columbus Day weekend and the foliage up there was STUNNING (I blame my bad golfing on being distracted by leaves.) We then drove from there to the Wiscassett area and the foliage was great until about where the road we were on crossed 95. I always recommend people check out the foliage in the Mt Auburn Cemetery but I live right next to it and it's probably another week (or more) away from peaking. Still worth visiting if you only have today or tomorrow. There is definitely color to be seen just more sporadic and less "sweeping". Be sure to climb the tower and check out the view from there.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: foliage?

I spent my weekend in Freeport, Maine. The foliage was okay. Spots of color but nothing that great. If you've never seen it, you may think it's nice. To us that know better, not so much. There were some colors in the Ogunquit/York area. That is within an hour (maybe a little more) from Boston. Although the colors weren't as vivid as years past, the decorations of mums and pumpkins made up for it.

9. Re: foliage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 19:18