We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four seasons hotel

London, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Four seasons hotel

Does anyone know if you can arrange hire of a kettle in your room at the Four Seasons to make tea etc - if not where's the nearest coffee/tea shop and can we bring back to room? Don't want to rely on room service for beverages if there's a charge / waiting time.

Thankyou

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four seasons hotel

The hotel's website notes that they put out complementary coffee and tea in the morning from 5 to 8.

Starbucks, Au Bon Pain, and Dunkin' Donuts are all nearby, within a few minutes' walk.

Hotels in the US usually have coffee machines, not kettles... but the Four Seasons is upscale enough that you might be able to arrange something if you make your preferences known.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four seasons hotel

Most likely there will be a coffee maker, which with a little ingenuity can serve as an inelegant tea maker, in your room, along with coffee and tea bags. I'm sure there''s a coffee shop in the hotel as well.

Apart from that, you're rarely far from a Starbucks in an American city, and there are three within a couple of blocks of your hotel. A fourth, just a bit farther away but a pleasant walk, is just across the Public Garden at the corner of Charles and Beacon. You can go to http://www.starbucks.com/store-locator and plug in the hotel address to see locations.

I'm not a huge Starbucks customer, but when I can't make my tea at home (in the proper British manner), I find the Tazo Awake black tea that they sell quite satisfactory.

Really, though, there are all sorts of cafes and coffee shops in your neighborhood. Sadly, Tealuxe, where you could get great tea and could not get coffee, has closed its Newbury Street shop, which I otherwise would have recommended.

Mentioned in this post
Boston Public Garden
Boston Public Garden
8,232 Reviews
Boston, MA
Charles Hotel
Charles Hotel
1,997 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Newbury Street
Newbury Street
2,162 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,181 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four seasons hotel

I can't speak for hot tea, but starbuck's iced tea is horrible. They use some sort of liquid concentrate and add water and ice. I'm not sure they even have lemon to go with it ....

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four seasons hotel

I've attempted to make tea using a hotel room coffeemaker a few times, but the results have never been good. Traces of coffee oils from the machine make their way into the tea, making the resulting brew undrinkable.

I agree that Starbucks' tea is pretty good -- they use teabags, but with whole leaves inside the bag. The "Awake" blend is closest to what you'd be used to from GB. I don't have any experience with their iced tea.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four seasons hotel

Sometimes my wife and I travel with a small electric kettle and a small teapot (or do without the pot and just use bags). Most of the drawbacks of this approach are pretty obvious, and travelers from the UK have the added problem of needing a currency converter (or buying the kettle in the US and then figuring out what do do with it). But it's within the realm of possibility.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four seasons hotel

Like Massachusetts_Member, I also have tried to make tea in hotel coffee machines, but ended up with coffee water instead. Hate that! I've had more success cleaning the pot, putting a small amount of water in the pot, and heating it directly on on the coffee makers warming plate (avoiding all the coffee residue in the coffee maker's brewing system). It takes an eternity and doesn't really get the water hot enough for tea, but it's better than that coffee-flavored tea. Many of the in-room coffee makers now brew directly into a cup and have no warming plate so this is getting harder to do.

How about a coil immersion water heater? I used one in the past--not really sure why I stopped. It's a lot smaller to pack than a kettle! This one at Amazon has dual voltage:

amazon.com/Travel-Immersion-Water-Heater-Vol…

I agree with the suggestion above to ask the Four Seasons to place a kettle in your room. Seems the simplest.

Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
7. Re: Four seasons hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 20:19