We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone walked the Freedom Trail in winter?

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone walked the Freedom Trail in winter?

My 11-year-old is studying Colonial/Revolutionary War history, and he really wants to go to Boston. We're considering going between Christmas and New Years. The main focus of this trip will be historical sites, but I'm wondering if everything will be open. Is walking the Freedom Trail a miserable experience in winter? Thanks for any tips!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,926 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone walked the Freedom Trail in winter?

Everything will be open unless there's extreme weather (like a major snowstorm). However, that would be unusual and not something you can plan around far in advance anyway. The good news is that even if we do some event like that, the next day is usually fine for most activities.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,078 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone walked the Freedom Trail in winter?

However, some venues have reduced hours in Winter.

For example, if you'd like to tour the USS constitution, it's only open Thursday-Sunday from Nov 1 to March 31

ussconstitutionmuseum.org/visit/…TouringUSSC

Paul Revere's house is closed on Mondays in Jan, Feb, March.

www.paulreverehouse.org/about/info2.html

The Old North Church is closed Mondays in January and February

http://www.oldnorth.com/visit_us/index.htm

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,213 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone walked the Freedom Trail in winter?

Walking the Freedom trail is great in winter. The whole area is still quite vibrant and well populated with residents and visitors. The trail weaves through neighborhoods that are very alive during any season. You can break up the cold outdoor time with indoor time and even decide to visit shops and cafe's along the way.

Being from Austin, the cold may be a shock. Weather is variable, but you will definitely want a heavy winter jacket, hat, winter scarf large enough to pull up over your lower face if necessary, and layers that you can open up when indoors to keep from getting overheated and sweaty (zip fleece jacket or vest, or or button sweaters that you can open). If temperatures are especially low or it's windy, you may even want a layer under your jeans or pants. In this case, tights or even pantyhose can make a big difference (your son will love it! lol).

Wear shoes or sneakers with serious tread on the soles, and warm socks. In my experience, having good sole tread is more important than having boot coverage. It certainly isn't worth purchasing winter boots. Cowboy boots will slip and slide on snow and ice ;)

I make it sounds like a dismal experience. It could be mildly cold and pleasant. It might even be sunny. If it's bitterly cold weather, you can do bits and pieces of the trail and find other indoor activities.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone walked the Freedom Trail in winter?

There are special family activities during the week after Christmas at many local attractions but it is a little early to tell you specific activities. Frog Pond turns into an ice skating rink in the winter and it is a fun family activity to ice skate outside under the Christmas and city lights. They offer skate rentals at Frog Pond Your son can enjoy Boston's First Night Activities, too. This is a family cultural event to celebrate New Year's. There is a parade, ice sculptures, fireworks ( early evening fireworks for families then midnight fireworks to celebrate the New Year) concerts, performances etc. You buy a First Night Button to get into most of the indoor attractions and to get discounts at many restaurants or other attractions. Many of the outdoor activities do not require the button..

Maybe, you can even do a side trip to the White Mountains or to Stowe, Vermont to enjoy some of New England's winter activities liking tubing, ice skating, skiing etc.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone walked the Freedom Trail in winter?

The Freedom trail is just a convenient way to connect many of the famous historical sites (sights?) in Boston for the benefit of tourists (I mean this in the best way). You don't literally need to "walk it" - it's not like you are recreating some kind historical march like Mao Tse-Tung's Long March or even Paul Revere's ride. Whether you visit the stops along the Freedom trail in Winter or Summer doesn't really make that much difference, except that the hours are probably different.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone walked the Freedom Trail in winter?

I spend nearly as much time outside doing outdoor activities in the winter as in the summer. I love the outdoors here in winter, especially on sunny days. Of course, I live here, so I am used to the climate, but as long as you dress properly, you can certainly enjoy walking along the Freedom Trail in winter. I strongly endorse what everyone has said about dressing in insulating (but unzippable or removable) layers, preferably with materials that will wick moisture. So you should try to avoid wearing cotton over your torso where it could accumulate sweat which will chill you as it tries to evaporate.

Also, I strongly recommend longjohns. You can find fairly cheap ones at places like Sears or Target. I am a little unusual in wearing longjohns most of the winter, but they allow me to enjoy being outside. My rule of thumb is that if the high temperature for the day is not expected to get above 40 OR if the low is expected to be below 20 on a given day, I wear longjohns. I think even in Austin there are a few winter days when you might want to wear them and when you will make your neighbors wonder why you look so comfortable while they are shivering.

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone walked the Freedom Trail in winter?

If you want a taste of winter, snow activities, you might consider a day or tow in southwest New Hampshire. Snow tubing at Granite Gorge is a great way to get acquainted with snow. Also cross country skiing, ice skating, snow ball making and tossing. Lots of family oriented lodging, too.

8. Re: Has anyone walked the Freedom Trail in winter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 13:17