We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to downtown Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blackburn...
Level Contributor
44 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to downtown Boston

We are touring around New England next year and planning on staying in Boston for a few days and picking up a car on our way out of the city. As I will be dropping the car at the airport on our last day, I'm thinking of also picking up the car from the airport as we will get a better choice of car and will also avoid a one way rental charge of at least $99.

I'd be greatful if anyone could confirm this is the best way of doing things? How much a taxi from the airport to Fairmont Copley Plaza is likely to be and how long the journey takes by taxi from hotel to the airport?

Thanks

John

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to downtown Boston

Taxi to the Fairmont will be around $35-40. From the Fairmont to the Airport, $30-35. It takes about 20 minutes driving and maybe 45 minutes via subway.. Normally, many rental companies charge the same whether you drop it off Downtown or at the Airport. I would specifically ask that.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to downtown Boston

The cheaper option is to take the subway from the airport to the hotel for $2 per person (or $1.70 if you use a Charlie Card)

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,486 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to downtown Boston

Will you be traveling in the subway with luggage? I have been counseled on this forum to take a taxi from/to the airport since we travel (for extended Cape vacations) with a larger suitcase and a carry on bag each. I've tried all sorts of methods to keep costs down and although my time is not worth it to do it again I have to say that renting a car in the 'neighborhoods' (like an Enterprise car at the Marriott Copley) was worth it if only cost wise. Now I just book as early as I can and indeed I have been able, using that method, to book compact cars for a base rate of $19 a day usually with Enterprise or Alamo (the same company now). Good luck to you with this.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to downtown Boston

I was just in Boston this week end and left Oct. 24th. My taxi ride from the airport to he Omni Parker house was $28.00 at 6:00pm on a Friday and my ride from The Omni Parker to the airport on Monday at 5:00pm was $21.00. Boston is difficult to drive through, especially if you are not used to tunnels or city roads. I would take a cab to your hotel and then rent your car. A lot less trouble and stress. Airport vans are less money around $15.00 each but it does not save you any money if there are 2 or more of you, and you may drive to everyones destination with a crowd, where a taxi is just you.

Blackburn...
Level Contributor
44 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to downtown Boston

Many thanks for all the advice. I'll contact Alamo to find out if they charge extra for picking up downtown and dropping at the airport.

There will be three of us with a lot of luggage so I guess a taxi from the airport will be the best bet to get into Boston initially.

6. Re: Airport to downtown Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 15:17