We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T.R- 2 nights weren't enough in beautiful Boston.

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
auckland
Level Contributor
421 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
T.R- 2 nights weren't enough in beautiful Boston.

Hi there, attempting to write a trip report, as I always love reading them! I'm quite sure I have no new insights, but someone might enjoy reading my ramblings.

We were in Boston from Wednesday 12- Friday 14 October, staying at Back Bay Hilton, with a good "Last Minute " deal, thanks to Will007.The position of the hotel was great, we had a large and comfortable room, and found the staff friendly.

auckland
Level Contributor
421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: T.R- 2 nights weren't enough in beautiful Boston.

We flew into Boston on the "red-eye" from San Francisco, and took the good advice we got here re taxi to hotel. Our room was ready when we arrived , which was great as we really needed a bit of a freshen up before we got out and about.

Because we had such limited time, we had prebooked the "Old Town Trolley" in order to quickly see as much as possible.As the stop was right aross the road from the hotel, it was very convenient, although obviously a little slow.

We really enjoyed the drivers, they all had a slightly different spin on the information they gave, and were very friendly and helpful

auckland
Level Contributor
421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: T.R- 2 nights weren't enough in beautiful Boston.

The harbour cruise which was part of the Old Town Trolley pass was a lovely way to see your pretty city from a different viewpoint.Despite the light rain which fell over the two days, we really enjoyed getting out and about.

Wow, that Freedom Trail is a marvellous idea, we found it a very simple way to get around without getting lost, and we learnt a lot about the history of your city, and especially about the Independence years.

We "did" all the usual areas, Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, the Meeting House, and on the second way we continued around to Bunker Hill. The monument itself was closed(not sure why0 but we really enjoyed the walk through that very beautiful residential area. As Kiwis, we were fascinated by all the Halloween decorations, it's not a big thing here, and we really enjoyed seeing all those bright orange pumpkins, autumnal decorations and colourful doorways.

auckland
Level Contributor
421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T.R- 2 nights weren't enough in beautiful Boston.

We had hoped to get out to Harvard and even on to Concord, but decided there was enough to see and do in Boston.I got to see a little of your autumn colour on the Common and in the gardens, both of which we enjoyed walking through.

D.H was especially keen on the Constitution and the ?Young warship(excuse lack of correct terminology, not really my thing).

I was equally keen on Filene's , although shopping never forms a big part of our holiday plans I did spend a couple of happy hours in there.The prices and range were amazing.

On the second day, we had a good wander around North End. An elderly gentleman recommended " Cantina Italiano" where we a good-priced and delicious lunch, with a most entertaining waiter. We stumbled upon Mike's Pastry, bought two canoli for a later snack. I'd never eaten these before, found my amaretti/choc chip rich but delicious.Just as well as I was walking so far, the calories must be huge!We also ate at Summer Shack , where I had crabcakes and Atlantic Swordfish and D.H had Surf'n'Turf. I apparently always choose the better meal , as I loved mine and he thought his was just o.k. THe second night we ate at Legal Seafoods, again my meal (Atlantic Salmon with an almond crust) was scrummy and his Mahi-mahi was a little cold.Maybe I'm just not so fussy??!He did , however, love your Sam Adams, especially the Seasonal (?) brew.

One of the highlights was cocktails at the Top of the Hub.What a great view, and we found the staff friendly, despite the fact that we were only there for a drink and the view!

auckland
Level Contributor
421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: T.R- 2 nights weren't enough in beautiful Boston.

We took a taxi to the South Station early on the Friday to travel via Amtrak to New York City. All very easy.

We would love to return to beautiful Boston, our time was way too short.

We thought Bostonians were very warm, welcoming and helpful.We liked the size of your city and the fact that it is so walkable.We thought your harbour was beautiful, and we could see how treasured your heritage is.Forgot to say that a highlight for both of us was little tour around the Sate House, so informative and such a beautiful building.

Loved all the tress and gardens, what a clean city, and thanks for all the squirrels, such a novelty for us!

Thank you to all T.A members for your help before the trip.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: T.R- 2 nights weren't enough in beautiful Boston.

So happy that you had a great time. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a Trip Report. We hope you can come back to Boston someday!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: T.R- 2 nights weren't enough in beautiful Boston.

Thank you for letting us know how things went. It's fun to hear visitors' impressions especially for things we take for granted such as squirrels and Halloween decorations! Glad you went to the State House. I have enjoyed the tour (free) there multiple times. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip to NY and you come back and visit us again some time.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: T.R- 2 nights weren't enough in beautiful Boston.

great report. I love it when folks from the southern hemisphere marvel at our exotic wildlife. did you see any chipmunks?

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: T.R- 2 nights weren't enough in beautiful Boston.

Thanks for the detailed trip report! I remember your questions about Concord and Cambridge (and concerns about driving ;-) and think you made much better use of your time by sticking with Boston. You really saw a lot and, as you say, will have to return to see more, both in town and nearby.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: T.R- 2 nights weren't enough in beautiful Boston.

Just read your San Francisco trip report, too. Great fun! I've toured Alcatraz in the daytime, but didn't know there was a night tour. Will have to return. So glad you had such a wonderful time on the US coasts! (I'll look forward to your NYC report!)

Boston
Level Contributor
6,425 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: T.R- 2 nights weren't enough in beautiful Boston.

Thanks for the report. I, too, get a kick out of hearing from people who think squirrels are exotic since we are so overun by them!

Edited: 27 October 2011, 13:49