We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Expert Help Planning Itinerary 4 Boston & NYC

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Need Expert Help Planning Itinerary 4 Boston & NYC

Hi all, here I am again! I am assisting a friend who lives in Dublin that is planning to come to USA for a visit next Oct. 2012. I have a big challenge for you all. Even though I live in Boston area, I am not all that saavy about the logistics of helping her plan her itin. This is where I need to pick your brains!

Here is what she would like to do (there will be 4 of them):

Fly from Dublin on 14 Oct. 2012 into either Boston or New York depending upon which way her itinerary should be planned.

She would like to see our fall foliage so not sure the foliage dates will conincide. I know it will depend on when the leaves are turning. There may be some room for moving the dates around.

I just tried to get an idea of air prices by doing a multi city trip search, either Boston or New York or vice versa. The dates are too far out to give me definite prices. I priced in Sept. of next year and prices either Boston or New York are coming up $775-800.

This is the suggested itin I have been given:

Fly into New York or Boston; would like to visit:

1) New York City

2) Boston

3) Cape Cod

4) Salem, MA

5) Bar Harbor

6) Niagara Falls

7) Possibly Keene, NH and Bennington, Vt, & Stowe, VT

8) fly back home to Dublin

Will have 3 weeks for this trip so itin can be arranged accordingly.

Obviously they would need to rent a car somewhere along the line in order to drive from place to place. There are 4 traveling.

I would like some suggested itineraries as to the most realistic way to plan the trip. I am also thinking about Amtrak from New York to Boston or vice versa in order to save on parking, etc.

Hotels are next. I think that they would be looking for real budget hotels in Boston and New York. I have already told them that they will have sticker shock w/ hotel prices. If it is possible to find a hotel that would accommodate 4 in a room, that would be great. I am also thinking hostels as a good budget alternative. I believe that the 4 of them are in the more "mature age bracket" so not sure if this would be a good option. I posed hostels to them and they did not seem to object to doing this. I am sure money is going to be a big factor!

If you can give me a head start as to how to plan the trip, I would be most grateful. I can probably find hotels myself once we define the # of nights in the different places.

I think that the itinerary needs some overhaul so they aren't driving all over the place. Keene NH & Bennington, VT, & Stowe specifically. The main goal is to see foliage, then the sights of NY & Boston.

Thank you all so much for whatever help you can give me. I will get back in touch w/ my friend once I get some suggestions.

I am going to post this in the NYC forum also.

May

conn
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Expert Help Planning Itinerary 4 Boston & NYC

Niagara Falls doesn't really fit into your itinerary. It's roughly 6-7 hours north of NYC, in the opposite direction of Boston. Cape Cod in October is a little out of place, mostly beaches and summer activities. You might try adding Newport RI before Boston,in place of the Cape.

Edited: 28 October 2011, 21:56
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,482 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Expert Help Planning Itinerary 4 Boston & NYC

I would suggest starting in Boston, then get a car to drive to Maine and then NH, VT. This gets the foliage part of the trip done during "peak" (or what will most likely be peak). Actually, starting the trip a week earlier would be better. Return to Boston and down to the Cape.

There are usually significant drop-off fees for "one way" car rentals. The New England driving will be pretty and she can take a different route back toward Boston.

From Boston, Fly to Niagara Falls, rent a car there. Return the car and fly to NYC.

One thing to consider: Niagara Falls is really the outlier in this trip. It is a LONG drive from both Boston and NYC. Some of the main attractions there will be closed by October. If you take that out of the trip, it's much simpler. Drive New England, return the car, get the train to NYC (or a bus).

October is a very pricey hotel month for both Boston and NYC. It is also peak season for all of New England (with the exception of Cape Cod). Even when booking early, prices are usually set higher than at other times of the year. Four to a room is possible if they are willing to share two double or queen beds.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Expert Help Planning Itinerary 4 Boston & NYC

Bar Harbor to Niagara falls is actually a 14 hour drive. There are no east/west highways that far North so you would have to use secondary roads or drop back down to Boston and then go across and up again.

Perhaps you can tell us what the most important places are to your crew and what they are hoping to experience there. In many cases this TA gang might be able to find the right places for you to have the experience you are seeking.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Expert Help Planning Itinerary 4 Boston & NYC

I am trying to read between the lines as to what exactly my friends want to see. I do know that one of the reasons for the trip is to view the foliage. With that said, perhaps they should move the start date back a week and leave 10/8 or 10/9 for Boston or New York. I am trying to figure out what they really want to do.

I think that Bar Harbor may need to be eliminated as that may be too far north to drive. Maybe Niagara Falls also.

It is going to be left up to me as to an itinerary so feel free to add or delete as necessary.

If they fly into New York, then they either have to take the train to Boston and/or rent a car to drive north into NH or Maine or south to Cape Cod. Unless they want to visit MV or Nantucket, then maybe Cape Cod should be scratched also.

I think that they are going to have to do a round trip car rental to avoid the fees incurred w/ one ways. This is where I am having difficulty because I feel they are going to be zig zagging from Boston to New York and/or vice versa.

May

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Expert Help Planning Itinerary 4 Boston & NYC

Well, they could fly into Boston, rent a car at the airport & head north to New Hampshire, over to Vermont, down thru the Berkshires, to NYC. Then head east to either Newport or the Cape, back to Boston, turning the car in at the airport so they wouldn't have to pay for parking while here. Of course, they would have to pay for parking in NYC, but the cost of that might be comparable to 4 train tickets so it would be a wash.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Expert Help Planning Itinerary 4 Boston & NYC

Thanks everyone for your input. I have forwarded all of the suggestions to my friend and she is going to have to better define what they want to see and do and which way (NY or Boston routes) they want to go. I am happy to assist her but cannot make the decision about the final itinerary.

I have also given them a suggested tour company that has a good foliage tour, starting in Boston, Newport, Cape Cod (MV), then heading north to Maine, etc. I think this might be a good solution for them as they would not have to drive, hotels are picked for them (nice ones too!) and they could take the train to/from NYC and do sightseeing there. I think it would be much cheaper than trying to do it themselves. We will see what they decide.

Thanks again.

May

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Expert Help Planning Itinerary 4 Boston & NYC

Bar Harbor/Acadia really isn't that bad a drive. If they were really interested in it (and it is truly one of the most gorgeous spots in the USA), then I would say go for it. If they take the inland highway route, I forget exactly but think it's maybe 5 hours from Boston to there? Totally different than the Niagara problem. But -- I am not sure how late hotels operate in the Bar Harbor area. My guess would be that they do operate through October, but it's possible some are only open in the summer. Anyhow, I would not eliminate Bar Harbor but I would say they would need to devote at least two nights there to make it worth it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Expert Help Planning Itinerary 4 Boston & NYC

MaxieLu, thanks so much for your input. I agree w/ you about Bar Harbor, it is really a lovely place to visit. We have been there ourselves. It would probably not be all that bad a drive if they drove straight up Maine coast from Boston.

I will pass this info along to my friend.

May

9. Re: Need Expert Help Planning Itinerary 4 Boston & NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 06:17