We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day vist to Boston over New Year 2011/12

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
7 day vist to Boston over New Year 2011/12

We are travelling from UK with 2 teenage boys and would be grateful for any advice on:

Getting from airport to Midtown hotel (flight arrives 1pm) - other than taxi,

Any good live music venues & whether our boys (17yo) will be allowed entry

Any sporting events for the boys (ice hockey, basketball etc)

What to do on New Years Eve and if places are open on New Years Day

Finally, for me - SHOPPING!! Where?

Any other advice most welcome. Regards Christine

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
40 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day vist to Boston over New Year 2011/12

Hi, heading over from Ireland myself at the same time but we have been a few times before so can answer a couple of your questions.

Last time we travelled we got a shuttle bus from the airport to the t and from there into the city.I cant remember the exact route though.Im sure somebody here will give better directions.

You should get the weekly charlie ticket for $15. Well worth it and if the weather is bad you can still get around.

Not sure about live venues, my boys were under 10 when we were there so no chance of us going anywhere.

One New Years Eve there are 2 fireworks displays, 1 on Boston Common the other at Boston harbour. there will be loads of other events on including ice sculptures and a parade.

www.firstnight.org/first-night-festival/

Now for the shopping. You are right across the road from the prudential centre which has lovely shops and restaurants. We shopped a lot in Boston,Downtown, there is a Macys, Marshalls, Tjmaxx, DSW shoe warehouse and H&M. Boylston St has Filenes, City Sports, Marshalls.

The Galleria in Cambridgeside is a huge shopping centre, you would need to get the t to Lechmere.

http://www.cambridgesidegalleria.com/

Then there is Wrentham Outlets, bus trips can be organised in the hotel.Its about a 45 min drive and the bus has 2 pick up times back, most people get the later bus back.

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp…

If you head out to wrentham bring an empty suitcase and hire a locker to store your shopping.

Have a search through the forum here for other things to do, we have been 5 times and still havent done everything on our '' to do'' list.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day vist to Boston over New Year 2011/12

Vbrody offered some excellent advice.

Check out First Night www.firstnight.org/first-night-festival/

Buy a First Night Button for discounted and/ or free admission to the many performances offered through out the city.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day vist to Boston over New Year 2011/12

Not sure when you are here. The Bruins (hockey) have no home games the last week in December. They have home games the 4th and 7th of January.

bruins.nhl.com/club/calendar.htm…

Tickets will be tough to get since they won the championship last year. However, there is an option to buy tickets on the secondary market through their website.

Celtics (basketball) and the entire NBA are on lockout and nobody knows when or even if they will play this year.

A good take in for the whole family is Blue Man Group.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 day vist to Boston over New Year 2011/12

Unfortunately, the Bruins are currently in last place right now, so it should be easier to buy tickets :(

IF the NBA decide to have a Basketball Season this year, the Celtics are tentatively playing Detroit at home on the Dec 30th but who knows if they will play at all the year:(

There are also many local University games 

Check out websites for  BU,  BC, Northeastern, Harvard etc. To see if they are offering any games during your visit.

Enjoy!

Edited: 01 November 2011, 16:04
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 day vist to Boston over New Year 2011/12

Here are the details on how to get from the airport to your hotel. When you clear immigration and customs, follow the signs for "Ground Transportation" and then look for the stop for the Massport buses. You want a bus labeled "MBTA station", which should be bus #33, which will take you to Airport Station on the MBTA (aka "T", subway) Blue Line. Take the Blue Line inbound to Government Center Station. Transfer there to the Green Line. Wait on the westbound platform for a train (trolley, really). There are several branches of the westbound Green Line. You want the E branch, which will be labeled with its terminus (eather "Heath St." or "Brigham Circle"). Take the Green Line E train to Symphony Station, the closest station to the Midtown Hotel.

Live music for teens under 18 is tough. Most places that have live music offer alcoholic drinks and check IDs to make sure that all patrons are over 21, the legal drinking age in the US. A few places have alcohol-free nights when they admit people over age 18, the age of majority, after which clubs are less likely to be sued by parents for allowing their kids to do what the parents don't want. However, Cafe 939 allows teens under 18 and features performers from the Berklee College of Music, a rather prestigious school for young performers of jazz, rock, other genres. The Berklee Performance Center and other major concert venues such as the Orpheum and the Opera House may also admit under-18s. Check their websites.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
702 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 day vist to Boston over New Year 2011/12

Club Passim is an excellent venue for live folk music (if that appeals) and all of its shows are "all ages." It is located at the corner of Church and Palmer streets in the Harvard Square section of Cambridge.

Durham, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 day vist to Boston over New Year 2011/12

vbrody - many thanks for such a helpful and informative reply. We will certainly buy a First Night Button and we will, over the next few weeks, research all the website links you sent. Fireworks on Boston Common sounds wonderful as does the parades and ice sculpture - we can't wait. I'm going to send the boys out one to te seek a sporting event - they will find me somewher in Macy's. Many thanks. I do hope you have a wonderful time -never know we might bump into each other!!

C

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,305 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 day vist to Boston over New Year 2011/12

Good advice already shared. Make sure if you shop at Macy's you get your discount! www.visitmacysusa.com/visitors/savings.cfm

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 day vist to Boston over New Year 2011/12

Cabinet suggestion of Blue Man Group is a great idea for your boys.

Here is a recent thread on the First Night Sponsored Fireworks Cruise. Look at post number 9 as it is clarified by someone who works with First Night. (as mentioned on post number 9, it is NOT a booze cruise but a family cruise)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k490061…

Enjoy!

Edited: 02 November 2011, 11:34
Durham, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 day vist to Boston over New Year 2011/12

What a wonderfully comprehensive reply. I feel I know my way to the hotel already - thank you so much. The information on where to go with the boys is very useful.

I'm really getting excited now and counting down the days - how sad!!

Kind regards

Chrisitne