We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of location and hotels

Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Choice of location and hotels

Please tell me if it is better to stay at down town, Cambridge, or Wharf area with teens? I also came across mentions of Copely, Back Bay..?? The vicinity must be safe and 'walkable' to food and some sightseeing.

It is so difficult to find rooms with 2 Queen beds and laundromat , so far I have narrowed down to:

* Residence Inn Boston Tudor Wharf by Marriott

* Court yard Boston - N, S or Brookline by Marriott

* Boston Cambridge by Intercontinental

Which, in your opinion, will suit our needs best? Or is there another I should check out? Thanks a zillion!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice of location and hotels

What time of year are you visiting? What sort of budget do you have? Boston is pretty compact and easy to get around. Copley/Back Bay would definitely be a good area to explore as well. I would eliminate your second choices if you want to be closer to the action assuming that's the Courtyard in South Boston.

Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice of location and hotels

Hi, I forgot to mention that this is for early Dec. I plan to drive in from central valley after staying over for shopping at Woodbury. Thank you.

Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice of location and hotels

Hi, I forgot to mention that this is for early Dec. I plan to drive in from central valley after staying over for shopping at Woodbury. Thank you.

Oh I am hoping to get either 2 x bedrooms with 2 queen beds each or a comfortable family suite with 2 queens and a sofa bed within $300/day. Is that possible?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,452 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice of location and hotels

OK ... I'll try. It is better to stay downtown, but some (not all) Cambridge Hotels are very nice and conveniently located.

Marriott Residence Inn Tudor Wharf gives you extra space and the location is pretty good, It's near the USS Constitution which is on the Freedom Trail and a short walk to the Historic Warren Tavern for dinner.. However, there are NOT a lot of dining options nearby, it is not near a subway station and while the walk to the North End (Italian neighborhood) isn't long, it is over a low bridge that crosses over the ocean, it can be a windy and cold walk. It would not be my first choice. You can get a bus nearby to North Station.

Brookline is a lovely community bordering on Boston. The courtyard is in the Coolidge Corner section of Brookline which is a lively area with shops, dining and a movie theatre and the T is our subway/bus system, and the T's greenline is right there. While not downtown, it's not a bad option.

Courtyard ... I have no idea what you mean by N S. I assume you mean north or south, but I can't find them. The Marriott Copley Square and the Marriott downtown/Tremont are conveniently located, with the edge going to Copley.

I also cannot find an Intercontinental in Cambrdige. The one in Boston is a lovely 5* hotel.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,337 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice of location and hotels

There is also a Residence Inn in Cambridge. It's in Kendall Square, just two stops on the Red Line from Boston.

The Radisson Boston has two large beds in each room and is family friendly. You can sometimes find it on www.lastminutetravel.com.

Singapore
Level Contributor
217 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choice of location and hotels

Some hotels just put up some good discounts for Dec, now i have a choice of Commonwealth Boston, Raddison Boston and Courtyard by Marriott Boston Copley Square to choose from also. Which one should i go for (plus earlier homework and above suggestions)?

I try not to stay across the river, water taxi not my type given that it is winter time. Do not look forward to walking long distance for food or entertainment with children. Have plans to scout around the top Universities though.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Choice of location and hotels

If shopping and museums are on the agenda, then Marriott Courtyard in Copley Square would make the most sense. If history were your prime objective, I would have suggested something closer to Downtown and the Waterfront though. There is food everywhere you look. I don't know which "top" universities you were planning on scouting, so it's a little hard to help you there.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choice of location and hotels

Just so you're aware, staying "across the river" presumably means Cambridge, and the water taxi wouldn't come into play at all. There's very good subway service between Harvard Square and downtown Boston, with stops in between at other major Cambridge locations.

If Harvard and MIT are on your "top universities" list, Cambridge could be very convenient for you.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choice of location and hotels

For my last trip to Boston, I used the Double Tree Suites in Cambridge. Very nice hotel and got a good deal on it. It was definately a hike though from public transportation so in that sense I would make sure that if you do stay in Cambridge its walkable or they have a shuttle or you are willing to get a cab, which are more than plentiful in Cambridge. Of course, staying downtown is the prime real estate but its not always in the budget. Cambridge has some beautiful views and it is fun to stay in the midst of the Ivy League universities.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choice of location and hotels

Sorry, I just read some earlier posts. I do travel rather extensively in Boston and personally I look first for a good deal and proximity to the T. Boston has such wonderful public transportation. Its really not a worry if you stay in one "section" of town and you have things you want to see in another "section". Could be that I'm always determined to do EVERYTHING that there is to do, but if you aren't a afraid to work the public transportation you can really see it all no matter where you stay. I've even been know to stay in Quincy or Braintree and those make for a really nice trip as well.