We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Draft Itinerary 12/15-12/18 - Advice Appreciated!

Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Draft Itinerary 12/15-12/18 - Advice Appreciated!

I absolutely looooove using tripadvisor to plan my vacations. Based on the information I’ve read on this forum, I have put together a draft itinerary. I am visiting Boston for the first time with my fiancé (newly engaged!) from December 15th to the 18th. We are in our late 20s. We are from Miami, so we are looking forward to getting into the holiday mood and enjoying the cold weather. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

THURSDAY:

Arrive Thursday morning at 10:30 AM to Logan, take a cab to Lenox Hotel. I picked the Lenox Hotel based on the reviews it received on Trip Advisor. I also splurged for a room with a fireplace!

After checking in, we are going to grab a quick lunch nearby the hotel (any suggestions?) and then head to the Samuel Adams Brewery. I figured it would be best to go here on a Thursday as I have read it gets very busy. I don’t think we should have a problem getting in before their last tour at 3pm.

Nothing planned for after the tour to dinner time (3-7ish). Museum? Boston Public Library?

Dinner at Island Creek Oyster Bar or Toro. I haven’t chosen yet. Any suggestions?

Head to the Top of the Hub and have a drink or 2.

Maybe go to a bar nearby or back to the hotel depending on how tired we are. Bar suggestions? Biddy Early's, Corner Tavern, the Deluxe, JJ Foleys, Sidebar, Green Dragon, Black Rose. Would it be worth is to go out to Cambridge (People’s Republik, Cantab, The Druid)?

FRIDAY

Make our way to Fenway Park for the tour at 11AM

Walk from Fenway to Newberry Street to have lunch OR walk to Island Creek Oyster Bar for lunch. I can do Island Creek on Thursday or Friday. Wasn’t sure is there are any good places to eat on Newberry Street.

Walk around Newberry Street and do some shopping.

Head to Trinity Church, Public Garden, Boston Common, Park Street and then to Harvard Square.

Stop for hot chocolate at Burdick’s in Harvard Square.

Dinner at Atlantic Fish Company (reservation at 6pm)

Holiday Pops concert at 8pm (really excited about this!!)

Head to the Oak Room after the concert

SATURDAY

Today is our Freedom Trail day. I decided not to take a guided tour but to download the iPhone app and do a self-guided tour. For the morning we will make stops at The State House, Old South Meetings House, Old State House and the Site of the Boston Massacre. Is it worth it to buy the tickets beforehand?

Lunch at Faneuil Hall. Any recommendations? I would like to get a lobster roll and some clam chowder.

Continue on the Freedom Trail to Paul Revere’s house, Old North Church, the USS Constitution (before 4pm to do the tour) and lastly the Bunker Hill Monument (if we have the energy).

Dinner at Neptune Oyster around 6pm

Dessert at Mike’s Pastry

No plans for the night. Maybe the Improv Asylum?

SUNDAY

Head over to the Prudential Center around 11AM (are shops open this early on a Sunday?)

Lunch at Legal Seafood

Head back to the hotel to pack up. Flight is at 4:35pm

NOTES

Is it worth it t got to the Cheers Bar? Anything you would suggest that I do not have on my itinerary? Any special Christmas events I can attend? Thank you in advance!!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Draft Itinerary 12/15-12/18 - Advice Appreciated!

For your Freedom Trail walk: The State House is closed on Saturdays. The Boston Massacre Site is outside, so you don't have to go in anywhere. If you're going to go into the Old North Church, you can skip going into the Old South and save your admission charge.

Other notes: It's worth going to the Cheers Bar if it's worth it to you! Most shops open around 11 on Sundays. More later.....

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Draft Itinerary 12/15-12/18 - Advice Appreciated!

Well, you've certainly done a lot of research. My meager two cents:

$ .01, you could go to the Christmas Revels (http://www.revels.org/).

$ .02, if you do everything you have planned on Friday, then have hot chocolate at Burdick's, you will certainly ruin your appetite for a 6:00 dinner.

Have fun, and congratulations.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,573 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Draft Itinerary 12/15-12/18 - Advice Appreciated!

I'll just comment about your Thursday afternoon plans. Yes, you could visit the Boston Public Library after your Sam Adams tour. Unfortunately, library tours are at 6pm on Thursday, which doesn't work so well, but you could do a self-guided tour instead. There are brochures available. We recently visited the library's two civil war exhibits and I recommend both, especially "Torn in Two" in the map center. Here's a link to the exhibits website:

http://www.bpl.org/news/civilwar.htm#programs

Edited: 17 November 2011, 23:26
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Draft Itinerary 12/15-12/18 - Advice Appreciated!

I would have dinner at Toro on Thursday. If you can get reservations, I'd have dinner at Island Creek on Friday, and lose Atlantic Fish (it's good, but not particularly great).

Your bar list on Thursday is literally and figuratively all over the map. (And some are really nondescript--how did you come up with that list??) Besides filling in time between dinner and bed, was there anything else you might be looking for?

On Friday, have a lighter lunch, as wpsaukee suggests--that hot chocolate is filling! Also, keep in mind that from Harvard Square it will take you some time to get to the Back Bay or Kenmore for dinner (it was unclear whether you knew that or not).

Saturday: Can you do Neptune at lunch? They have a much better lobster roll than anywhere in Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market. It is right there, across the street practically, from the marketplace and the Freedom trail. Do you like Italian food? Have dinner at Grotto, Taranta, or Prezza instead. (You seem to like seafood, so note that Taranta and Prezza have plenty of seafood items.)

Not especially worth going to Cheers bar. Take a picture outside, then go to a real Cheers-type bar in the same neighborhood: either 75 Chestnut or the Sevens.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,253 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Draft Itinerary 12/15-12/18 - Advice Appreciated!

Island Creek Oyster Bar is not open for lunch, but it definitely should be one of your evening dinners.

There are many restaurants on Newbury St. Are you looking for more seafood or something else? You could also go to Atlantic Fish for lunch.

Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Draft Itinerary 12/15-12/18 - Advice Appreciated!

Thank you for your comments!

Route128North

Thank you for your recommendation. I will stop by the Boston Public Library on Thursday after our tour!

Rantipole

I was able to make a reservation for Island Creek at 8:30pm on Thursday night! And I will eat dinner at Toro before the show on Friday night. I thought that might be better since they serve tapas (if we are still full from the hot chocolate).

The bar list really came from a combination of trip advisor and yelp. No particular reason for any of the picks. I prefer more of a local bar. Just some place to hang out and have a drink.

Great suggestion for Neptune Oyster at lunch! I will make sure I stop there instead of Fanueil Hall. All of the dinner suggestions look good. I will have to take a look at the online menus and see what is most appealing.

I will look into stopping by 75 Chestnut or the Sevens. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ting

I decided that Island Creek Oyster Bar would be great for Thursday night! As for Newberry Street, I am not looking for anything in particular. Just good local food =)

Boston
Level Contributor
360 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Draft Itinerary 12/15-12/18 - Advice Appreciated!

Sam Adams - yes but go early because they sell out quickly

Neptune - Yes

Legal Seafood - yes

Black rose - yes but also go to Mr. Dooleys ( a block away and really nicely decorated at Christmas time/ cozy and fun at night) with excellent live Irish music.. JJ Foleys is out of the way and tough to get to. The green dragon is a 21 plus crowded college bar but if you like that sort of thing go for it.

Avoid the improv asylum- it sucks really bad.

Cambridge is a good take but only if you've grown tired of Boston. The druid is quiet but the Cantab and Peoples republic are both lively with excellent people watching and a few blocks apart. If you go to the cantab there are other bars near there that make the Druid not worth the out of the way trip.

Check out the Green Street restaurant if you want something to eat when you are in Mental...um I mean "Central" Square. You'll know what I mean by that when you get there. If you go to Central sq you have to go to Harvard sq. They are about a mile apart but it's worth it to walk through before getting back on the train to your hotel.

Boston
Level Contributor
360 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Draft Itinerary 12/15-12/18 - Advice Appreciated!

If you go to harvard sq and love seafood and bloody marys, you have to get the bloody mary at the Russell House Tavern. At $15 they are not cheap but you won't be disappointed.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Draft Itinerary 12/15-12/18 - Advice Appreciated!

The Lenox has a fairly hopping bar: CityBar. That might be a good choice because if you're tired, you can just say, "oh forget it", and head upstairs. If you want more of a pub feel, Solas is also in the same building as the Lenox (not sure if you can access it from the inside). Right across Boylston St are several other bars which will be active on a Thursday night.

The only thing about Toro on Friday is that you can't make reservations, so leave time for a wait. But it's worth it.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,621 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Draft Itinerary 12/15-12/18 - Advice Appreciated!

Kim,

On your Freedom Trail day, I'd grab lunch somewhere in the North End

(Italian section) instead of near Fanuel Hall.