We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your own New England Bed & Breakfast recommendations?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Your own New England Bed & Breakfast recommendations?

We are planning the following 3 week trip in September / October:

1) Boston

2) Sandwich MA

3) Newport RI

4) Weathersfield CT

5) Woodstock VT

6) Burlington VT

7) Omni Mount Washington Resort NH

8) Portsmouth NH

Looking on the local TA lists there seem to be at least 10 recommended Bed & Breakfasts / Inns to stay in at each place. So I thought :

You are locals and may have researched this trip yourselves - & even done something similar?

Which of the many places to stay would you recommend in each town please?

Our criteria are: Very central to each town so can walk to restaurants in the evening, Historic building but with modern bathrooms, Good breakfast included, Less expensive than the Mount Washington Resort (I expect that to be the most expensive place we stay in?).

What would you recommend (please include Boston)? Thank you for your help.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your own New England Bed & Breakfast recommendations?

PS Plus with free parking on site please!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your own New England Bed & Breakfast recommendations?

1) In Boston, I stayed on the Bed and Breakfast Afloat. Not for everyone, more like upscale camping but unique sleeping on a house boat plus parking is not too pricey. 

2) Check out the Daniel Webster Inn while you are in Sandwich, MA

3) We stay in nearby Middletown, RI while visiting  Newport. Free parking and cheaper rates but since you are coming in their shoulder season you might get a great rate for great place in Newport.

4) Wethersfield?? I have stayed in  many  different places in CT but never Wethersfield. Curious, why you picked this as one of your destinations?

5 + 6) Make sure to stop in Stowe while staying in Burlington and Woodstock, VT .

I stayed in boxed hotels while in Burlington,so I cannot recommend a place there.

7) Omni Mount Washington is a great choice.

8) You might want to stay at the Wentworth  By The Sea in New Castle, NH, too, while it is in not in downtown Portsmouth but the harbor views are wonderful and their Latitudes Seasonal Restaurant offers the best lobster roll, yummy! Make sure to spend sometime in nearby Ogunquit, too.

I like your list of destinations except confused about Wethersfield, a place I must admit that I never have been to and must do a day trip the next time I am in CT just to see what the attraction is. I love finding "new" places so close to me.

Enjoy!

Edited: 20 November 2011, 15:47
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your own New England Bed & Breakfast recommendations?

Thank you Remay.

The reason I chose Wethersfield is that it sounds a historic place, and central for day drives to Old Sturbridge Village and also to the The Big E, plus also to drive to the Mark Twain house.

Anyone else have more suggestions thank you?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your own New England Bed & Breakfast recommendations?

You might want to add a visit to Stockbridge, MA to your fall itinerary.  

Check out The Red Lion Inn.

Edited: 20 November 2011, 18:51
5. Re: Your own New England Bed & Breakfast recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2012, 10:22