We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reduced travel passes for foreign seniors

Malvern
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Reduced travel passes for foreign seniors

Is it possible for non-USA citizens to obtain reduced travel passes for Boston transport. If so what is the procedure?

Hide
Travellers interested in this topic also viewed...
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reduced travel passes for foreign seniors

yes, I think so (I don't know why foreigners would not qualify). you need to get a Senior Charlie Card at either the Downtown Crossing or Back Bay Station as explained on this website:

mbta.com/fares_and_passes/…

North Wales
Level Contributor
170 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reduced travel passes for foreign seniors

I am a U.K. resident and over 65 and I recently visited Boston. As I understand it you have to produce a Seniors I.D. only available to U.S. residents to get reduced fares.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Reduced travel passes for foreign seniors

There is no national Seniors ID. They key off the Driver's License to check the age for the Senior's T Pass, so you should be able to use your UK picture Driver's License. The states do issue picture ID's for anybody that doesn't have a license, which you could do as well from the UK.

Edited: 07 December 2011, 19:48
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reduced travel passes for foreign seniors

Your passport should work as well. :-)

I know that in Italy I have seen reduced admission at museums but only for citizens of certain countries - I have never seen anything like that in the United States. As long as you have a valid visa I can't imagine anyone denying a discount to a senior of any country.

5. Re: Reduced travel passes for foreign seniors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2011, 14:51
Malvern
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reduced travel passes for foreign seniors

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall have a go when in Boston, but as equestrian asks - how much is your time worth, taken away from sightseeing!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reduced travel passes for foreign seniors

Imagine how exciting that would be if they refused to give you a Senior Charlie Card because they didn't believe your driver's license or passport was real. What a great story that would be if people didn't believe you were really 65 (or older). How likely is that to happen? How would you get in the country in the first place?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Reduced travel passes for foreign seniors

Maybe if they made that the drinking age..... Hmmmm.......

9. Re: Reduced travel passes for foreign seniors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 September 2016, 18:12
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,413 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Reduced travel passes for foreign seniors

You can buy a weekly pass for buses and subway for $15. It's a good deal, and no paperwork involved.

The discounts I see in most countries are restricted to residents of that country but I really don't know if it's different here.