We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Where to Stay?

My husband and I are visiting Boston mid January for 3 days. We love great food and particularly enjoy a local experience. We want to visit some historic sites in addition to the JFK library. Neither or us enjoys shopping. Any recommendations on neighborhoods? Copley Plaza seems a bit too touristy (though close to some things we want to see). North End may be a bit rough (but maybe not...you tell me). South end? Back Bay? Appreciate all help. Also, restaurant recommendations? We don't want a tourist trap experience but DO want at least one fine dining and other lovely haunts. Merry Christmas!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay?

And one more thing...we are interested in walking The Freedom Trail (weather permitting). I am from Arizona and 50 degrees is cold for me!! I plan to tough it out though. We will NOT be renting a car -- walking and public transportation

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay?

What makes the Copley Plaza so touristy to you? What things is it close to that you want to see? What makes you think the North End is tough? All things we need to understand if we are to help you. And why would think not having a car is toughing it out here in Boston?

Boston...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay?

Good for you for coming to visit Boston in the colder weather!

I walk through Copley Sq on a daily basis to get to and from work and while I usually can pick out the tourists, they are no so abundant as to lessen Boston's charm, especially considering the cold weather keeps a good portion of tourists away in the winter months. I think Copley Sq would be a great central point for the two of you and if you decide on it then my recommendation for hotels would be the Fairmont. You can sit in the Oak Room and enjoy a hot cup of coffee or another beverage to warm you up!

If you are trying to find a more neighborhood-type setting then you may try to find something in the South End but there isn't a wide selection of hotels to choose from. That being said, The Inn at St Botolph is a wonderful respite that is just steps away from the Prudential Mall entrance. This is important because once you are in the mall you can cross over to Back Bay and Copley Sq INSIDE!

Regarding the North End, I find that neighborhood to be more touristy than the others but is definitely still a great part of town. Lots of great Italian dining and walking down the streets will certainly make you feel you've left the US and landed in Italy!

This may not answer all of your questions but hopefully will be enough to get you started!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay?

@Destination Expert...My Apologies!!! I didn't mean to offend. I was reading other reviews and comments on Trip Adviser and one reviewer commented about "touristy" Copley and another about a need to "clean up" North End. I should know better than to generalize after ready one review. WE have limited time and want to experience this lovely city -- all recommendations welcome.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay?

SarahMoo..thanks! Copley may be a good central place -- our visit may now be a bit shorter. Business all day Wed - then Thurs/Friday and home on Saturday. Any restaurant recommendations? We would like a fine dining one night and a couple delicious-must-have-Boston-haunts. We will be searching our Yelp too! Love Yelp!

Boston...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay?

There are so many choices to choose from when it comes to great restaurants in Boston. If you can get a reservation at No 9 on the Park you won't be disappointed but never fear if they are booked as the same chef also has two other establishments in the South End: B+G Oyster and The Butcher Shop. Sorelina is also great, as is Mistral.

Any particular type of food you would be looking for?

7. Re: Where to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 December 2011, 09:01
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Stay?

I'm thinking Beacon Hill would be great for you. It's American history and architecture at its finest, and when it snows, it's magical. It's very residential, with a good choice of restaurants (and a great pub for local atmosphere, The Sevens), and some shopping, but not too much, and no chain stores that I can think of offhand. But really, all of Boston is full of locals – you really don't have to worry about any part of Boston being "too touristy." We don't have any areas like Times Square that are largely tourist-centric. Even if they were, you walk four minutes and you're going to be out of that area anyway. Boston's small size makes it pretty difficult to avoid locals.

I haven't stayed in any of the Beacon Hill hotels, but they all seem to get decent reviews on TA.

The chain stores and restaurants and large hotels in Copley Square are the only reason I can think of why Copley Square might be considered too touristy, and those are easily avoidable.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Stay?

I think she means that walking around in the cold is toughing it out for her.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Stay?

Another vote for Beacon Hill - stunning architecture, gas lamps, cobble streets - you get the idea - very atmospheric. In terms of hotels, there's a small boutique hotel right on Charles St (Beacon Hill hotel & bistro) and a modern 5 star at top of Charles St at the MGH stop (Liberty hotel) as well as another 5 star boutique hotel (XV Beacon). The quality of these accommodations reflects the area of Beacon Hill.