We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a day trip to Concord worth the time?

mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Is a day trip to Concord worth the time?

We are going to Boston for two days at the end of March. My sister wants to go to Concord to see the Emerson house and the birthplace of Thoreau.

I have no interest in this so she would be going with her daughter while the rest of us stay in Boston. I just want to get as much info as I can to help her make the decision on whether to skip it or not.

If she went I guess she would rent a car...or is there a better way? Is it worth it?

Just looking for pros and cons...she basically needs convincing either way.

Thanks!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a day trip to Concord worth the time?

In short, yes it is worth it. Concord is a pretty special place for people interested in American history & literature. There is a commuter rail train to Concord. I am not sure where the stop is in relation to where she wants to go but it should be easy to find out.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,507 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a day trip to Concord worth the time?

It's hard to answer. Only your sister can really make the decision on how important it is to her to see these Emerson/Thoreau sites. There are other sites in Lexington/Concord, too, such as the "Little Women" house, and lots of Revolutionary War historic sites, including the Old North Bridge where the revolution started. Since you are only in Boston two days she will have to balance the value of this daytrip with what she will miss in Boston by going to Concord. If Concord is only of marginal interest to her she would be better off spending her short time here in Boston.

A car would be the most efficient way to see this trip. It is not a long ride, less than 45 minutes.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 19:14
mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a day trip to Concord worth the time?

The Little Women house would be right up her alley as well.

I think she really has her heart set on going there and I didn't realize it was less than a 45 minute drive. That is wonderful!

Thank you so much for your help.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a day trip to Concord worth the time?

There are plenty of buses out to concord as well, and take less than an hour from South Station bus terminal. I always think concord looks a bit industrial from the outside, but as you can see, there are gems to be found there!

Abs :)

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a day trip to Concord worth the time?

abs140, I think you are confusing Concord, NH with Concord, MA, which is what the OP is asking about. There appears to be a Concord Bus line that goes to Maine and New Hampshire from South Station.

Concord, MA is not remotely industrial. :-)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a day trip to Concord worth the time?

Well worth going to Concord, MA for all the literary history. She should also pay a visit to Sleepy Hollow cemetery to see the gravesites. The whole Alcott family is there if she likes Little Women.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a day trip to Concord worth the time?

Don't forget Hawthorne! (Not the new bar, the 19th century author. He was in Concord as well.)

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a day trip to Concord worth the time?

Should any of the rest of the group love architecture or wish to see a delightful small New England town, you might want to join here in Concord. If you took a car for the day, you could stop at one of the wonderful farm stands out that way for lunch.

Walden Pond is nearby with all the Thoreau connections.

My husband and I take daytrips to Concord every few months just because we love the area. The center of the town has wonderful shops including a GREAT kitchen store and Cheese shop.

You may also want to check if there is a special exhibit at the Concord Museum. Last year we attended a great presentation of cabinate making and jewelry there.

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is a day trip to Concord worth the time?

If the weather is nice, then yes. I would also head to lexington.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is a day trip to Concord worth the time?

We were there in sept for 5 nights, treid to figure a way to get there without a car. did not have much luck. We wanted to see the Minute Man Trail. And we did not find a way to do that without a car.

After 5 nights we picked up a car and drove to NH. On the way back to Logan we stopped for the last night near Concord. and drove the Minute Man Trail on way to airport. Glad we did that cause it tiede nicely with some of the history we saw i Boston. However with only two days would not have done Concord.

Edited: 04 January 2012, 18:11