We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic getting to Logan on Wed. late afternoon

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Topic
Traffic getting to Logan on Wed. late afternoon

I posted this on the air travel forum, but was told this would probably be the more appropriate place for it.

We have an upcoming flight out of Logan at 6:40 p.m. on a Wednesday evening. I've flown out of Boston many times but always in the early morning, where the trip up to Boston was quick and mostly traffic-free. Can anyone let me know what traffic might be like at this time of day (obviously we'd be getting up there 4:30-5-ish...we're parking @ Preflight parking in Chelsea, who we have used before). My experience tells me that most likely there would be far more traffic coming OUT of Boston at that time, but I am really not sure.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,464 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic getting to Logan on Wed. late afternoon

You are coming from south of the city. It's anybody's guess ... snow, rain, a breakdown or a minor accident can all mess things up. You will NOT have the "zipper lane" in your favor, the extra lane of traffic will be travelling South.

Also, when was the last time you used pre-flight?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,333 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic getting to Logan on Wed. late afternoon

Usually, this would noot be an issue from the city or even from Chelsea for that matter. However, there could be extra traffic coming for a ballgame or whatever. For the little bit you save, I would park directly at the Airport and then not worry about it.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic getting to Logan on Wed. late afternoon

I understand we won't have the zipper lane, I know how that works. We will definitely have an eye on the weather and will leave early enough to avoid any unforseen circumstances. It usually takes us about an hour and 20 minutes to get to Logan in the early mornings but we will definitely plan on it taking longer than that.

The last time I used Preflight was about six months ago. We've used them probably 6 or 7 times at least.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic getting to Logan on Wed. late afternoon

Alanm, there is a Celtics game that night @ 7:30 that I am aware of. How early does traffic start coming into the city for those games? I appreciate your suggestion about parking at the airport, but we do end up saving over $100 on parking with preflight as I'm a member of their frequent parker club and get several free days, plus get another discount from them that does make it worth our while to park there.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
702 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic getting to Logan on Wed. late afternoon

Google Maps has a feature that shows you historical average traffic conditions. Pull up a map of the Boston area, click on Traffic, and then down at the bottom where it says "Live Traffic", click on the Change button and you can see what a typical Wednesday looks like on I-93. On my map, it shows up as mostly yellow on the green-yellow-red scale, meaning that traffic is moving but with slow pockets through Quincy and Dorchester -- and that matches my (limited) personal experience.

If it were me, I would leave extra-early to beat the worst of the traffic -- even northbound, going against the main commuter flows, seems to get worse around 3:30 PM. Since the airlines don't feed you anymore and your flight is at 6:40, it would be nice to clear security early and have a relaxed dinner at the airport. Depending on your terminal, some of the options are quite good.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,464 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic getting to Logan on Wed. late afternoon

The reason I asked about pre-flight is because the bridge that runs from near 1A to near pre-flight has been closed for a while as it is reconstructed. It LOOKS nearly done, but was not opened the week before Christmas, and I'm not sure if it's opened now. Detouring around, even early morning, will add a bit of time.

When will you be travelling ... I'll try to get a good look at it next time I'm in the area.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic getting to Logan on Wed. late afternoon

Forgot...we are traveling @ the very beginning of Feb. The bridge was under construction the last time we were up there so we do know that there is a slight detour. Preflight's website SAYS the construction is through "end of January" but I'm not holding my breath...ha ha. We are assuming at this point that we will still have to take the detour, but if we don't, then great! If you do get a look, let me know. Thanks for the info!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,333 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic getting to Logan on Wed. late afternoon

When there is a Celtics or Bruins evening game, I notice traffic starting to build early, piling on to rush hour traffic near the Garden. By 3 o'clock, there seems to be a noticeable effect on the exit towards the Garden from 93.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,464 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic getting to Logan on Wed. late afternoon

I actually got a good look this morning. The detour signs are still up, and when I went by , the bridge was raised to let a gasoline tanker pass.

Boston...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic getting to Logan on Wed. late afternoon

During the afternoon , one should just assume that the expressway north is going to be bumper to bumper from braintree, to after the Neponset on ramp. From Neponset it takes less then 20 minutes to get to logan.